PDA

View Full Version : Help with clear slime!!

Basseater
02-10-2010, 08:16 PM
I just started this new tank and all my fish but a pleco died!! I removed him and scrubbed the tank and cleaned rocks and filter EVERYTHING. I got everything up and running again and 24hrs later its cloudy again!!! what am I doing wrong????

Bristley
02-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Welcome to the AC, glad to have you aboard. :19:

Have you properly cycled your tank?

Read this info if you haven't already, it is very helpful.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

rich311k
02-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Sounds like a bacteria cloud. I take it the tank is almost brand new.

Welcome to AC!

DillanSimpson
02-10-2010, 09:38 PM
I had the same problem cause like a typical newbie that gets into fish I filled my tank and added fish well that wasnt a good idea so I got rid of my fish drain my tank claned it the refilled it up let it cycle and then added fish and now no more clodyness :D

EmmanuelJB
02-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Welcome to Aquatic Community! :welcomeconfetti: Did you cycle your tank? It could be a bacteria bloom.

Little Embers
02-10-2010, 10:15 PM
You cleaned too much! You NEVER want to clean EVERYTHING at the same time (especially in a cycling tank), because you will kill all the bacteria that is trying to colonise, especially if you used tap water to clean them all, the chlorine kills the bacteria and you basically have to start from scratch again. You shouldn't need to clean everything in the tank anyway....The fish died, I would say from the cycling process and water quality/parameter problems such as high ammonia etc.

While a tank is cycling, it is best not to clean the filter at all, because this is the perfect place for the bacteria to start establishing themselves. I know bacterial blooms can be annoying, but they are also normal in a new tank and they do not harm the fish. I would just wait it out and keep up with the partial water changes, monitor your levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate frequently, keep the tank well oxygenated and don't overfeed. Once the bacteria stabilise, the bloom will go away and it can happen very suddenly sometimes. You can also (if you have another fully cycled tank that is), use some of its filter sponge/media and put it in the new tank to help get the bacteria going.