PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find a quality betta!

Northernguy
02-10-2010, 06:14 PM
I have just lost another betta.This one only lasted maybe two months.All my cardinal tetras in the same tank have real bright colors and the water is testing great.Water changes are done properly and often.
I do think its the quality of bettas I have access too.
I have only ever seen veil tail bettas in stores.I would like something different.

Are there any betta breeders here?

annageckos
02-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Check on aquabid and ebay. With bettas it can be hit or miss. I have had perfectly healthy looking bettas just up and die for no reason I could see. It can be very aggervating.

souly
02-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Depending on who breeds them can they be pretty bad. The Betta I have comes a fishery where they breed them like a engendered species haha. Mines lasted quite a while, the first one I had got ick :/ and didn't get to treat it in time before he passed. Its really hit or miss with them.

Northernguy
02-10-2010, 07:32 PM
I thought about buying on line but its way to cold up here for that.
I was hoping I could find a breeder somewhere I could drive to and pick one.lol

annageckos
02-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Maybe try googling betta breeders and see what you can find.

HeatherB
02-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Good Luck. I can't find any besides on Aquabid, people oversees. I can't see spending $30 or more for a betta (or any fish for that reason) plus shipping costs? They are astronomical!

You can look on ebay too, but again, they will ship them too you. They do include heat packs though- if you forked out the extra $$$ you could do like, 2 day shipping and make sure your home to get him!

Northernguy
02-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Thats the problem!lol
All the good breeders are overseas!
It would cost in excess of 100 bucks a betta!lol
I don't think so!

They must be very difficult to breed. That may be a money maker!lol

Scrup
02-10-2010, 08:20 PM
breeding them is actually very simple...also one of the most interesting breeding rituals I have ever seen. Really neat to see the male squeezing the female into her stupor, then grabbing the eggs while she floats around dazed.

IMO its more about proper timing than it is about water parameters with bettas.

I am always super picky with the bettas I get, even if they look awesome, if they dont respond to me when I put my finger up to the glass, they are staying where they are. Actually only lost 1 betta so far, and it was from her jumping out of the net and falling 7 feet onto tile.

I imagine by the time they get to your location they have spent a good amount of time in a tiny tub. Good luck finding some healthy ones!

HeatherB
02-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Here's some sites I found:
http://canadianbettas.com/default.aspx
www.baycitybettas.com
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=live+betta&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=live+betta+canada&_osacat=0

Ebay has alot of them. They seem very pricey, like $30, but a couple I looked at included shipping. Some others were like $30 shipping.

EmmanuelJB
02-10-2010, 10:00 PM
The longest betta that ever lived for me was from walmart lol! It was a red veiltail. I don't recomend buying bettas there though. I have had ALOT of luck with PETCO's bettas. I bought 6 male bettas from PETCO and recently 8 females and they are all still living and doing great! Live aquaria seems to have really great fish... Maybe you could try there?