PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp interbreeding

wlepse
02-10-2010, 03:17 AM
I currently have a few cherry red shrimp and recently found some yellow shrimp on Aquabid I thought looked interesting. Problem is I think they are the same species as the cherries just a different color variant. If this is the case would they interbreed? Is this a bad thing? And by that I mean would they be genetically weaker or is it a bad thing in respect to the blood line that was developed?

rhonin
02-10-2010, 04:15 AM
While in the wild, cherry and yellow are both forms of Neocaridina Heteropoda, you will likely and up with something more towards cherry - if they interbreed.

Yellow is a fairly recent color variation.

If you interbreed I don't see why it would be gentically weaker.

Up to you.

korith
02-10-2010, 04:52 AM
Check out the chart on this page
http://www.planetinverts.com/Will%20These%20Shrimp%20Interbreed.html

Has a list of various shrimp and whether they will interbreed with one another or not.

Red cherry and yellow are just colors people have bred out of the wild type ones. By putting them together, you are probably going to end up with the population going back to wild type in a few generations.

wlepse
02-10-2010, 01:53 PM
I kind of figured they would interbreed so I guess it isn't a good idea. Thanks for the chart, I noticed that the other color I like blue is a no go. I guess I will have to use that chart to find another species that would add some different color or something.

wlepse
02-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Crap...looks like I can probably only go with the cherry reds. I had liked the crystal reds and found some lower grades that were reasonable price and looked nice but they seem to prefer soft acidic water. My water is around: pH 8, GH 16 and KH 13. Are there any others I should be looking for then?