PDA

View Full Version : Pleco feeding suggestions

Cliff
02-10-2010, 02:42 AM
I have been trying to feed my two bristle nosed plecos veggies, but they never touch them. Could some one please offer me some advice?

Here’s some details about my tank:
PH = 7.2 to 7.4
Ammo – 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 5 to 10
Temp – 77 to 78.5 F
Filter – fluval 405
Several plants that seem to be doing well
Some green and brown algae (less and less each week)
Size and tanks mates listed in my signature

The plecos are very active. Its seams like they are little eating machines, cleaning algae through-out the day and night. I put a some algae wafers in the tank 3 nights a week just before lights out and its always gone by the time that I get up about 1 hour after the tank lights come back on. The plecos look healthy and are growing. When I brought them home about 2 months ago, they were only 1.5 inches and now they have grown to 2 inches.

I’ve tried: cucumbers (peeled, not peeled, blanched, not blanch, and combinations), zucchinis (peeled, not peeled, blanched, not blanch, and combinations), peas (peeled, not peeled, blanched, not blanch, and combinations), and I’ve also tried romaine but my severums eat that like it’s a bad habit.

I’m looking for suggestions or advice to try to get my plecos to eat fresh veggies.

Thank-you for your help

Northernguy
02-10-2010, 02:44 AM
Do you leave it in over night?
They are nocturnal and prefer night feedings.

Cliff
02-10-2010, 02:58 AM
Yes, I place it in the tank just before lights out and then take it out the following afternoon. I've even tried putting small cuts in the veggies just incase their mouths were tool small to get a good bite. I will place the veggies on a fork so it will stay on the bottom and place it near their favorite spot next to the largest pc of drift wood.

No luck yet

dmagerl
02-10-2010, 03:19 AM
Mine dont eat veggies either. They're growing nicely so the only thing I can figure is that they're getting all the food they need from algae growing in the tank.

Northernguy
02-10-2010, 03:43 AM
Keep trying.It will figure out that it is food sooner or later.
Mines chows down on cucumber.

toddnbecka
02-10-2010, 04:22 AM
As long as they're eating algae you don't have to worry about feeding them veggies. BN have digestive systems adapted to extracting nutrition from relatively slim pickings, so feeding them too much flake or other high-protein food can cause problems. Feeding them veggies once weekly will help keep their digestive systems running smoothly if they're mainly eating leftover food from the other fish.
I have a couple hundred juvies growing out, so naturally there isn't nearly enough algae to support them all. Their main diet is NLS pellets, which for some reason don't cause problems for any of the pleco's (or other fish) I feed them to. However, I do still feed them veggies, usually canned green beans (french cut) or canned asparagus this time of year. They do get fresh zucchini when it's in season, but actually seem to prefer the canned veggies.

Crispy
02-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Try cantaloupe and/or sweet potato.

discushopeful
02-10-2010, 12:11 PM
I give mine pealed zuchini. They eat it sometimes and then not, DAHHH But they do eat it. I'll try the cucumbers now. From time to time I feed them sinking pellets. Same thing, eat them today, not tomorrow. Can't help but worry when they dont eat at all. I have two grown and two mid range Inspectors. They look healthy and havent died yet, Thank GOD....

Cliff
02-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Northern Guy, dmagerl, toddnbecka, Crispy, and discushopeful, Thank you very mush for all of your advice.

I never thought to try canned veggies. I will keep trying until I find something they like or until they finally figure out that’s food in the tank. And of course I will continue with the wafers.

The good news is there is still a lot of algae in the tank they are eating so I figure I have another week or two to get them used to eating veggies.

Thanks again all
thumbs2: :19:

bob saget
02-11-2010, 03:14 AM
Keep trying.It will figure out that it is food sooner or later.
Mines chows down on cucumber.

this. same with mine.

Cliff
02-11-2010, 03:15 AM
this. same with mine.

Thanks bob saget

annageckos
02-11-2010, 03:19 AM
Sometimes you have to try many times before they 'get it'. They may also just perfer the algea over other foods. Another thing is, exspecialy when small, you wouldn't alway be able to see that they have eaten from the veggies. My two are pigs and will eat anything. But for the first couple of weeks I wouldn't see them eat, other than the algea on the glass. Now they push thier way in and steal food.

Cliff
02-11-2010, 03:32 AM
Sometimes you have to try many times before they 'get it'. They may also just perfer the algea over other foods. Another thing is, exspecialy when small, you wouldn't alway be able to see that they have eaten from the veggies. My two are pigs and will eat anything. But for the first couple of weeks I wouldn't see them eat, other than the algea on the glass. Now they push thier way in and steal food.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm going to stay the course.