PDA

View Full Version : White threads on alternanthera reineckii

toysrus
02-09-2010, 10:34 PM
I have way too many threads from every node on the stem,they're 2" plus long threads in some spots.The plants only go to the top of the waterline so far,but I wish those threads would give me a break. They give me the chills like a haunted house theme type thing. And I already trimmed them when I planted a week ago.Is there any way to make it stop?

Lady Hobbs
02-09-2010, 11:07 PM
Normal and I believe those hair roots are what takes in the nutrients and ferts.

EddyC
02-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Unfortunately there is no way to make them stop. Those are the roots of the plant that it uses to absorb nutrients from the water. They'll keep growing as long as the plant is alive. And cutting them back can actually encourage more growth. If it really bothers you, you might be able to return/exchange it at the store you got it from.

toysrus
02-10-2010, 01:28 AM
Well ya don't see em in books so I'm gonna keep cutting them off.

smaug
02-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Kinda goes against having a natural planted tank to modify the plants natural nutrient uptake system doesnt it?Most stem plants have these.They are there for a reason.

toysrus
02-11-2010, 01:50 AM
I gotta learn my plants somehow.Trimming the threads should make the plant grow taller. Just trimming the threads shouldn't cause any nutrient complications.
I mean if the plants were tall enough or if they had side shoots I'd get some cuttings there. Or I could just cut them in half and have about 3 nodes on both pieces,but then they would be really short stems.
Anyway I already trimmed the threads just as an experiment to see how fast they grow back. Or if it stimulates the stems to grow taller or inhibit some threads into offshoots.

Little Embers
02-11-2010, 05:46 AM
Well ya don't see em in books so I'm gonna keep cutting them off.

As everything may NOT be in the books...I would not just dismiss any advice given by the very experienced members here. :22:

toysrus
02-11-2010, 01:42 PM
OH sure experienced advice is the best!
I'm just trying to experiment with layouts without killing my plants until I find the best way to do a well planned layout,referenced layouts in books are worth reading are they not? Copying them in detail is next to impossible for someone without the experience.
Every layout I've tried thus far I haven't liked and haven't killed a plant yet.
Or a fish!
But wouldn't ya know it, now I see Crypts are best in layouts if grouped together,and even in books they're in groups.It's small details like that, that get overlooked by beginners or at least this is true in my case.
I really appreciate everyones experienced advice here in AC.
Comprehending all of it from some threads is a little confusing.

smaug
02-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Being the stem plant that it its,the most desirable condition for it would be to stay more compact and get bushier.I'm truly not knocking your experiment as it wont damage it permanently .If you want this plant to look really good,start pruning it.Start off by lopping off the best looking 2/3rds of it and replanting that part,then nip just the top off right below a whorl.Soon you will see branches coming from that area,repeat the nipping process to the ends of any new branch after it gets a bit bigger then an inch.In this way the plant will become low growing and bushy instead of tall and rangy looking.

toysrus
02-13-2010, 08:01 PM
They were so thick I seperated them with a knife and got 3 seperate ones.

And first off, a whorl is where stems(there are alot of em) join. and "below" that, is the base of roots on the plant. My now 3 plants still has whorls already.OK?

Are you saying cut above the whorl or cut up to 2/3 of the stem off and replant it?Is what you're saying?

Being the stem plant that it its,the most desirable condition for it would be to stay more compact and get bushier.I'm truly not knocking your experiment as it wont damage it permanently .If you want this plant to look really good,start pruning it.Start off by lopping off the best looking 2/3rds of it and replanting that part,then nip just the top off right below a whorl.Soon you will see branches coming from that area,repeat the nipping process to the ends of any new branch after it gets a bit bigger then an inch.In this way the plant will become low growing and bushy instead of tall and rangy looking.

smaug
02-13-2010, 09:21 PM
The whorls are where the foliage is coming from the stem,cut between them and remove2 inches of the foliage from the bottom where you will put in the gravel,otherwise it will rot away.