PDA

View Full Version : Will my apartment support a 90 gallon aqarium?

rothenb1
02-09-2010, 03:35 AM
Hello all, I'm new here, but definitely not new to fishkeeping!

This might be a silly topic, but I figure I'd give it a whirl.

I have a 30 gallon right now, but I have gouramis (which I know will outgrow the tank quickly) and I'd like a school of 5 or 6 clown loaches, and I know a 30 is far too small for them. After much thought I have decided a 90 gallon would be best. The only reservation I am having is the fact that I live on the second floor (the top floor) of a small apartment building. I have been doing a lot of research on the support that such a large tank would require, but am still a little concerned.

The apartment building was built in the 1970s. There are eight separate apartments, four on the first floor, four on the second, each is 900sq ft and the whole building is longer than it is wide. I checked in the basement and it seems as if it has steel support beams running lengthwise (I don't know if these same beams run between the first and second floor, though). There is wall-to-wall carpeting so I am assuming there is concrete underneath. I'm guessing that a 90 gallon would weigh about 900lbs with water and gravel. Based on what I saw in the basement (steel beams) the tank would be sitting lengthwise on one beam.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or is anyone in a similar situation?

I'd really appreciate any input. Thanks so much.

(crossposted to a fishforums.net forum)

Rhaethe
02-09-2010, 04:01 AM
Within my (albeit limited) experience, it would be best to go to your complex's office and ask there. They actually might have limitations / guidelines.

I know when I asked our complex's office folks, they said that anything above 55g would require a pet deposit (to cover possible carpet cleaning costs and such). Renter's insurance would also be required in case something happened.

Of course, this info was tailored to the fact that my unit was ground floor. They may have had other things to say if I lived in 2nd or 3rd floor.

robnepper
02-09-2010, 04:27 AM
You will gain the most strength if you place your aquarium so that it mimics your apartment building since it needs to sit across your floor joists close to either an outside wall or a bearing wall in your apt or near a beam since that will be where your joists are the strongest. If you are in a building with concrete floors, don't worry about it.

rothenb1
02-09-2010, 04:53 AM
Yeah, after seeing what people have said, I really should go to the landlord/maintenence man. I was hesitant because I'd thought they would say no and I really want my loaches :( But, I'd rather not break my apartment and owe a million dollars....

Northernguy
02-09-2010, 05:07 AM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!
Most buildings built in the 70s are built with cement.
I cannot see a 90 being a problem.
Do they allow water beds? If they do a tank falls under the same weight restrictions.
Waterbeds are more likely to leak!lol

rothenb1
02-09-2010, 05:43 AM
I just checked the lease-- it says nothing about aqariums, but it does say that waterbeds must be okayed by the landlord. I'll check that out tomorrow!

lowlight
02-09-2010, 07:40 AM
If water beds need to be checked with the land lord then I would check with them about the tank just to be safe.

MCHRKiller
02-09-2010, 08:00 AM
My house was built in the 1920s...and I have a 150, 100, and 55G in my 2nd floor bedroom without issues. Weight dispersion is very important as is the specific structural integrity of the building. If it is concrete no issues...if its wood...eh, id get it looked at and keep it to a load bearing wall as previously mentioned.

Lady Hobbs
02-09-2010, 12:05 PM
You should got permission for a tank. You can't "hide" a tank due to inspectors and maintence they may have to do in the apartment at some time or another. Peace of mind for you, as well. Many apartments will only allow up to 55 gallon.

The 90 gallon is the same footprint as the 75. You're only gaining 4 inches in height but the difference of 850 pounds to 1050 if that's a factor. Landlords don't worry about the floor caving in but water leakage. A good option would be an acrylic tank.

Padams
02-09-2010, 01:30 PM
My house was built in the 1920s...and I have a 150, 100, and 55G in my 2nd floor bedroom without issues. Weight dispersion is very important as is the specific structural integrity of the building. If it is concrete no issues...if its wood...eh, id get it looked at and keep it to a load bearing wall as previously mentioned.

I feel a hell of a lot more comfortable putting a bunch of tanks in a '20s house than one built today. Today they are built more for live load and not much dead load.

When you go to manager it might be a good idea to have a renters policy in hand listing the tank (if possible) to show good faith.

rothenb1
02-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know I got the go-ahead from both my landlord and maintenance man! 90 gallon adventure, here we come!

Rhaethe
02-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Excellent :shappy:

Remember to take pictures as you set things up! :shappy:

Northernguy
02-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Thats the first step!lol Way to go.thumbs2:

Bristley
02-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Congrats! Keep us posted on how things go.

rhonin
02-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Generally, a 90g tank plus decs, water, stand comes in at around a 1000 pounds.

If it is a long the weight distribution is about the same as a large man standing on the floor (approx 180+lb man)

For a tall a bit more.

The big this to remember is weight distribution. Use a stand or similiar if at all possible.

:22:

marinagina
02-10-2010, 04:17 PM
I agree that if waterbeds are allowed then you should have nothing to worry about. Sounds like you have already gone to the trouble of checking out the building structure so you might as well just ask to make sure. Just think of the mess if it wasn't strong enough!! Yikes! Make sure that if everything is ok, you get a good stand. I just bought one and have had great luck with this one called the Upright Series ("http://allmypetsupplies.com/p-1038-upright-series.aspx). It's light weight also, which is something else you might want to consider. Good Luck and best wishes. Hope you get the tank setup you are looking for.

Gramazing
02-10-2010, 05:25 PM
You might want to put a sheet of plywood or even plate steel under your stand as well, to spread the weight around. Otherwise the load is transmitting to the floor through 4 points.

tim k
02-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Simple floor test to see if its concrete or wood.
Get a small nail and try to hammer it in to the floor , if it goes in it's wood , if not its concrete. :hmm3grin2orange:

I had a 110 in my apartment many years ago with concrete floor and it never was a problem.

Tim

cichlids209
02-10-2010, 07:24 PM
i have a 135 gallon in my upstairs apt ... you should be fine before that i had a 80 gallon in here . and now i have 3 tanks a in a upstairs but like you i had to get permission for any tank over 29 gallons and have renters insurance

ThaddeusW
02-19-2010, 10:55 PM
I feel a hell of a lot more comfortable putting a bunch of tanks in a '20s house than one built today. Today they are built more for live load and not much dead load.

When you go to manager it might be a good idea to have a renters policy in hand listing the tank (if possible) to show good faith.

I would not be so quick to say that. In certain cities houses were built in groups using the cheapest building methods that were available and legal at the time. My grandmothers ~1915 house had 6x2 joists and 2x2 studs in the walls with only 2x4 on the exterior walls for load support. It was not in any way a very strong house. There was a 6x6 main beam down the center with pipes to support the center of the floor but that only benefited the first floor. A shoddy extension was constructed who's floor had sagged from the sub standard building method used. We had to jack up that floor and brace it with 4x4's. I would not want to put a tank on the second floor but would consider putting one on the first and not on the floor of the shoddy extension.

My current home is about 10-15 years younger than hers and it was built with 8x2 joists, a 10x8 main beam and a center supporting wall for the second floor and another for the walk in attic. It is a unique house to the neighborhood like a few others built on my block so its construction was of much higher quality. I would not be hesitant to place a large 1000-1500 pound tank on any of the floors.

So if your house looks like every other house on the block chances are they might not be built very strong.