PDA

View Full Version : Reptileguy, can you help me here?

Lady Hobbs
05-01-2007, 03:46 PM
I've been checking into the Flag cichlids but am getting conflicting readings.

Mesonauta Festivus (also called Flag cichlids/ Festivus/festivum/festae) is said to be aggressive and not good at parenting.

However, the Laetacara Curviceps is also called a Flag cichlid. It sounds to me as this one is a friendly dwarf species of that above. ?????

Do you have some information to share that will unhinge me? The more I read the more confused I get.

I'm backkkkk........I think I know my problem. It appears that several are referred to as Flag Cichilds. One site says the festivums are great parents and mild cichlids. Next site it says they are mean, domineering and not good parents. How do YOU feel about them?

Fishguy2727
05-02-2007, 01:13 AM
I have not had festivums so I can't help you there. We have some curviceps at work that are about 1.5", they seem fine so far. They are in with pink convicts of about the same size that seem like they may be intimidating the curviceps. I will probably have to separate them, so they seem pretty laid back.

Lady Hobbs
05-02-2007, 02:48 AM
Thanks. Yes I read that too that the curviceps are pretty docile and a mild cichlid. It would be nice if they all weren't referred to a Flag Cichlids which confuses me, tho.

Fishguy2727
05-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Same thing with lots of other fish. There are dozens of peacocks, at least three or four silver dollars, two to four species of discus, two or three species of angelfish, all sorts of mix ups with common names.

jeffs99dime
05-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Same thing with lots of other fish. There are dozens of peacocks, at least three or four silver dollars, two to four species of discus, two or three species of angelfish, all sorts of mix ups with common names.

plus all the hybrids that people breed too

Fishguy2727
05-02-2007, 07:35 PM
That just makes it more fun. Some people hate hybrids. I don't see the issue. Healthy fish with different and sometimes better coloration, what's the issue. 'Everything must be pure bred' sounds kind of WWII Germany if you know what I mean.