PDA

View Full Version : How do I get rid of noise?

LadyHatred
02-07-2010, 02:37 PM
This is set at ISO1600, flash at quarter strength and covered with keenex, macro setting. I'm sitting on the couch I dragged over and am about a foot away from the tank. My arms are rested on the arm of the couch so camera movement is nil. Just using tank lights (filters off) and the rest of the house is dark.

This one is just cropped:
http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt316/MistressVashti/60g%20Aquarium%20Journal/GouramiCutFeb7.jpg

This one is the same cropped one but with "florescent light" removed and "auto contrast" done in Adobe Photo Deluxe Home edition (the program is crap but it's all I have.)
http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt316/MistressVashti/60g%20Aquarium%20Journal/GouramiCutEditFeb7.jpg

As you can see, there is not much difference. Some times the pic will come out rich but lots of flash bounce and when that happens, I get red-eye.

Is my camera simply not capable of taking detailed shots of fish?

Deleted User
02-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Your ISO Is set way too high, Try a setting between 100 & 200. :ssmile:

Lady Hobbs
02-07-2010, 02:48 PM
lolol No wonder I take lousy pictures! I don't even KNOW what the ISO is!

Deleted User
02-07-2010, 02:56 PM
lolol No wonder I take lousy pictures! I don't even KNOW what the ISO is!

Here you go :ssmile:

http://www.photography-basics.com/2007/02/what is iso/

The higher ISO number you use on the camera the brighter you pic as the camera will let more light in. But there is a down side. The higher ISO you use the more noise ( grainy effect ) will be shown on your pics.

LadyHatred
02-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Ok, here we go. Getting closer.

Flash at quarter strength, covered
ISO 200
Manual Focus/Macro or SuperMarco (can't remember)
Set for "Florescent, Indoors, High"
Also set on "Vivid" *emphasis on contrast and color saturation*
640x480 30fps
And an entire set of new batteries. Jeeze! This things a hog! Wonder if they make an AC adapter for it.

Cropped:
http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt316/MistressVashti/60g%20Aquarium%20Journal/GouramiCut1Feb7.jpg

Same cropped image with "remove florescent light", "Auto Contrast" and "Auto Sharpen". And I think I finally managed to stress out this program to the point where it's on strike.
http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt316/MistressVashti/60g%20Aquarium%20Journal/GouramiCut1EditFeb7.jpg

Again, not much difference after editing. I need a better program, this one is ancient! It also seems that the more contorted my body is, the better the shot; can't just sit all comfy and get trigger happy. LOL

Deleted User
02-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Much better. thumbs2:

You just need to get more light into the tank some how now :ssmile:

Mith
03-13-2010, 10:21 AM
I STILL play with my camera settings!!!! Definitely stay away from ISO 1600! I used to go with 800, but today experimented a bit. I wanted to lower the ISO to 400 (I don't ever go below 400) but if I didn't adjust something else, the picture would be too dark. I wanted more background so I didn't want a low "F" number.....so I raised the flash intensity.

Lower ISO darker pic less grain

Lower "F" setting, brighter picture blurred background

Higher shutter speed, darker picture but captures fast movement better

I can take a greeat picture once, but the object being photographed stipulates my settings. Example, a yellow fish would not come out as well as another fish....

Its all about experimenting.....trial and error.

rothenb1
03-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Sounds like you're using a DSLR? Definitely look at the site that was posted by Celtic Fins, you'll read it and smack your head and say "d'oh!" It also never hurts to just play around with all your settings if you're going manual. You can also just use it on automatic, sometimes it works out well. Definitely stick with the manual focus, though. Automatic goes crazy with fish.

Mith
03-14-2010, 12:56 AM
Sounds like you're using a DSLR? Definitely look at the site that was posted by Celtic Fins, you'll read it and smack your head and say "d'oh!" It also never hurts to just play around with all your settings if you're going manual. You can also just use it on automatic, sometimes it works out well. Definitely stick with the manual focus, though. Automatic goes crazy with fish.

Doing manual is a pride thing LOL. When I got my camers (Canon Rebel 450D) I was determined NOT to use auto! Once you the hang of it, manual IS THEE way to go! (unless you're doing pictures far away)

Aminax
09-11-2010, 01:45 PM
This is an excellent improvement from the first shots to the most recent!! Way to go! I just have two cents to add:

This is mainly just to "tweak" it.

Either make the F-stop # LARGER (making aperture SMALLER) by a small margin... I'm talking one or two clicks....

OR

You need to increase the shutter speed by a small amount.

My recommendation: Keep the shutter speed the same, change the F-stop. Your fish and background look great, they're in really good focus, but there's just a tiny bit too much light on the front of the fish.

Or if you don't want to fiddle with the shutter speed or F-stop, you can:

1) Reduce the power of your flash more (if possible)
2) Increase the layers of tissue paper on your flash
3) If your flash is one of the types that can be angled, point it in the general direction of the fish, rather than directly at them.

Of course, photography is an art as much as it is a science! So if YOU like the way a photograph comes out then it is perfect. Viewers will generally like interesting/beautiful content better than technical "perfection". And your lace gouramis are magnificent!

DrNic
09-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Can't say much for the photo thing. Lately I've just been using my wife's DSLR set on manual with a ISO100 or 200.

What I can say is you have some awesome fish! Love the gouramis!

Sarkazmo
09-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Brighter tank lights or using an off camera flash... You could also try bouncing the flash off the ceiling with the hood off the tank. You might also be able to angle the camera so that the flash doesn't reflect in the glass.

Sark