PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for angelfish replacement

F1shN1c
02-07-2010, 10:35 AM
:goldfish:
Hi Everyone,
Well, we have 8 neon tetras, 10 glowlight tetras, 2 African dwarf frogs (although one is missing these days), 6 swordtails, one albino bristlenose pleco and currently one very sick angelfish in our 20 gallon tank. All of the sudden today, the angelfish started acting really sick (laying sideways on the bottom of the tank, now laying motionless in a fern-like plant we have in there). I have read that sometimes they could just be in shock (doubt it) so we are just trying to leave him/her alone right now, but I'm afraid it will be passing soon. We were planning on picking up one or two more angelfish on Monday, but since this one is sick now, we're thinking we should skip the angelfish altogether and get something else. We really like tiger barbs, but are concerned about their compatibility with our other fish. Would ~8 tiger barbs be a good choice in our tank? If not, is there some type of somewhat showy, possibly somewhat large fish that we could get 2 or 3 of to take the place of the angelfish? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Lukenasia
02-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Your tank sounds abit overstocked already, and really a 20g is too small for an Angelfish, they need at least a 29G in my opinion.

But before we can determine anything we need to know a few more stats, do you use a test kit at all, is it strips (can be highly inaccurate) or liquid test? (A good liquid test kit to use is the API Master Test Kit)

If you do, can we have your Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels?
How long have you had the tank for and how was it cycled?
What filtration do you have in the tank?
What is your weekly maintenance on the tank, do you clean the gravel at all with a syphon?
And how long have you kept the Angelfish for, it is known that mass farmed Angelfish have very weak immune systems.

As for other fish I wouldn't suggest putting anything more in that tank since it is well stocked if not borderline overstocked already.

Lady Hobbs
02-07-2010, 03:08 PM
20 is too small for one angel much less two. Tiger Barbs are fin nippers and will pick at the others and your tank is also too small for them. You already have 20 fish in a 20 gallon. That's enough.

Angels also eat neons. You need to check compatibility, sizes and stocking levels before buying more fish. Save you money and fish in the long run.

Bristley
02-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Welcome, glad to have you aboard.