PDA

View Full Version : So the Shrimp are Growing on Me

Rhaethe
02-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Allrighty then. I will admit I was fairly dubious concerning shrimp.

My first shrimp was a single Amano of around 1.5 - 2 inches or so. We called him Hor'Douerve. He was okay, nothing overly cool or spectacular. A couple days later, the Great Tank TipOver 2010 happened, and later that night, even after surviving the tipover, he decided to go Olympic Carpet Diving ... the result of which he died.

After a couple days, I figured I'd give ghost shrimp a go. Cheap critters. I went to a store that's not one I commonly go to. They had the ghost shrimp for around 35 cents a piece. I got 2. I really didn't like their look much, though. Within 24 hours, they died. Not a molt. Just flat out dead. As I said, I didn't like them too much, so I wasn't OVERLY saddened, but concerned over the water quality.

After testing, water appeared fine. After further research, I realized the store had sold me aged and/or sick shrimp, because I specifically remember seeing them with pink lines on their bodies and slightly clouded shells before I put them into the tank.

A couple days ago, I decided to try red cherry shrimp.

I spent a good amount of time acclimating them, and then let them free in the tank. I was a little confused by how one shrimp was hugging onto the other shrimp, face to face. Once in the tank, they let each other go and I watched them scoot around a bit, admired the nice red color, and then went about other things for about an hour. Looked again, and I saw the milky white body and freaked. Upon closer inspection, I saw it was a molt.

Since then, one of the shrimp has been hiding out in the cave thing in the tank. The other does shrimply things. So far, the active one likes to munch at the surface, near the frogbit as well as scoot around the bottom. The other sticks around in the cave and dashes out to grab a bit, and goes back to doing whatever in the cave.

The dwarf gourami ignores them, mostly. Sid, the little snail eating sparkling gourami, is not sure what to do with them. He circle-strafes the active one as if he's going to attack, but when it looks like he's going to strike, the shrimp turns around and makes a small darting movement toward Sid. Sid backs off and the shrimp then turns back around and continues to do shrimply things.

The one in the cave seems unmolested so far. (knock on wood)

So, all in all, this who rambling post is basically saying, "After getting some RCS, the dang things are unexpectedly growing on me." Spunky little critters.

Gil klogher
02-07-2010, 08:30 AM
I am so grateful to you for posting this. I was afraid that I was the onluy one to name a snail.

Rhaethe
02-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Hehehe!

The boyfriend and I have a habit of naming most anything that goes into the tank. That way, when one of them does something interesting, its easier to reference when telling a story.

In our tank, the dwarf gourami is Gus, the sparkling gourami is Sid. The cory is BabyCory. The larger nerite snail is Big Scoot, with the smaller one being Little Scoot. I think Little Scoot got slurped up by Sid today o.O

The shrimp haven't gotten names quite yet. I've not really figured a way to discern between the two yet :hmm3grin2orange:

wlepse
02-07-2010, 12:38 PM
I have some cherry red shrimp in my QT that I was hoping to grow out a bit before adding since I thought they would be eaten in the main tank. Not that I have anything big mind you, biggest is a molly but he tries to eat anything. But certainly there is no way his mouth is bigger than Sid's. SO maybe I will add them sooner.