PDA

View Full Version : Featherfin cafish acting weird

gourami15
05-01-2007, 03:35 AM
OK, so i have a fake ship in the center of my tank and it has a whole in both sides and my catfish (about 2 inches) freaks out whenever i turn the light on then swims as quick as he can into the ship to hide. I did some research an stuff and figured out why he might be doing this but i need more help. He still does this even though i tried solving it and now even when the tank light is off he hides when he sees me. This is a problem for me because i need to take him out soon but i can't when he keeps hiding. I don't know if this is normal for this kind of fish or what. Any ideas?

cocoa_pleco
05-01-2007, 03:39 AM
theyre nocturnal, and come out at night. Otherwise, they hide.

gourami15
05-01-2007, 03:45 AM
So i basically have to remove him at night...?

cocoa_pleco
05-01-2007, 04:01 AM
no. you just have to have the lights off 9 hours/night for him, like you should regularly do. They are just afraid of light.

Incredulous_Ed
05-01-2007, 04:46 AM
As cocoa pleaco said, they are afraid of light, and it would be best to catch him at night. If you can';t catch him at night, maybe you should make a fish trap.

Lady Hobbs
05-01-2007, 04:49 AM
I have to remove the decorations from my tank when I scoop out my featherfins. They'll just run from hiding spot to hiding spot unless you remove whatever they try to hide in. They do not like lights and you'll see very little of him during the day unless you have the lights dimmed. Don't get him a mate, BTW. They fight with one another.

gm72
05-05-2007, 05:16 PM
I have upside-down catfish that like to hide, too. I sprayed a very light coating of "high heat" black spray paint on the aquarium bulb, and now they come out much more readily.