PDA

View Full Version : Pleco acting strange.

bob saget
02-06-2010, 10:24 PM
He is acting very restless during the day, and maybe once every hour-2 hours, he releases huge amount of gas bubbles, and shoots to the surface, and back down again. Do I need to be worried do you think?

VoidParadigm
02-06-2010, 11:16 PM
What have you been feeding him and what species of pleco is it?

bob saget
02-07-2010, 12:37 AM
sailfin pleco, and i give him wafers and cucamber every evening. he usually drills right through the cucamber, but today it was just "dented".
he is not doing it anymore.

Lukenasia
02-07-2010, 01:34 AM
This is pretty normal Pleco behaviour, sometimes they just like to swim up to the surface, gulp some air, bring it to the bottom then let it go. Strange creatures, all have personality :1luvu:

With the cucumber, I don't know, maybe hes getting bored of being fed it everyday, perhaps try other vegetables like Zucchini, Lettuce (Not Iceburg (Has no nutritional value!)), Peas and maybe something meaty, one of mine likes to eat Prawns I throw into the tank sometimes. Experiment see what he or she likes thumbs2:

Oscar_freak12321
02-07-2010, 01:45 AM
Normal. What temp is the tank at, may I ask?

Northernguy
02-07-2010, 02:07 AM
I do agree with Lukenasia. It does sound like normal behaviour.
I also agree with the varied diet.Its great for all fish to have a healthy varied diet.
What size tank is it in? I hope not the 20,thats way to small for that fish.
What are the perameters?

Bristley
02-07-2010, 02:32 AM
I agree with NG. I saw in your sig that the pleco is in a 20g. If this is not a miss print then I hope you're using this as a grow out and plan on rehoming it later.

bob saget
02-07-2010, 02:33 AM
This is pretty normal Pleco behaviour, sometimes they just like to swim up to the surface, gulp some air, bring it to the bottom then let it go. Strange creatures, all have personality :1luvu:

With the cucumber, I don't know, maybe hes getting bored of being fed it everyday, perhaps try other vegetables like Zucchini, Lettuce (Not Iceburg (Has no nutritional value!)), Peas and maybe something meaty, one of mine likes to eat Prawns I throw into the tank sometimes. Experiment see what he or she likes thumbs2:

I do agree with Lukenasia. It does sound like normal behaviour.
I also agree with the varied diet.Its great for all fish to have a healthy varied diet.
What size tank is it in? I hope not the 20,thats way to small for that fish.
What are the perameters?

Alright, thanks for the advice everybody. Pleco is now sitting on the heater for the last 30 mins.
Water is at 23C, and yes, he is in the 20 gallon. He is just under 3 inches long, so I am hoping to keep him here for a little while longer before transferring to my larger tank. If you guys think he is really uncomfortable in the 20, i will move him, but to me it looks like he has quite a lot of room.
I really do like him, and his chubby belly :D <3

Northernguy
02-07-2010, 02:42 AM
Thats your choice!:22:
Plecos just do better in larger tanks.Yours is still small.
Keep in mind they do grow fast and even though they are small they still put out a large bioload.More water disipates that better and allows your filter to deal with it faster.Also less stress.

bob saget
02-07-2010, 02:57 AM
Thats your choice!:22:
Plecos just do better in larger tanks.Yours is still small.
Keep in mind they do grow fast and even though they are small they still put out a large bioload.More water disipates that better and allows your filter to deal with it faster.Also less stress.

I understand all of that, thank you. And yes, I know how fast they grow :) He doubled in size over about 2months.

Northernguy
02-07-2010, 03:15 AM
Why not add it to the 60?

bob saget
02-07-2010, 03:43 AM
You know I really have no reason not to, except I have the 20 in my bedroom, and the larger one in a room joining the living room. I'd like to be able to keep seeing him when I look over :)
From your experience, he will notice a difference? The larger tank has more than 100 platies/swordtails, so I am changing the water there pretty often. The 20 only has tine HRs.

Bristley
02-07-2010, 06:05 PM
I've only been on this forum for a short time, but from what I've learned from reading posts here and from my own research having 100+ of just about anything in a 60g is overstocking it.

Platy's (I think) can get up to about 2" and swordtails even bigger IIRC. If you use the basic 1" per 1g rule your looking at well over 200" in a 60g.

Now live plants can help and doing very frequent water changes will also help, but I've got to say that it just seems like you have to put in a ton of extra work just to keep levels safe in there. That's just my opinion, and someone else with more experience may come along and tell you that I'm wrong and that it can be done. If that's the case well then I'll definitely learn something new, but as far as I know right now you seem overstocked.

james20
02-07-2010, 07:04 PM
:threadjacked: Sorry to get deeper into jacking your thread but I think he has so many fish because of there breeding habits. Are most of your fish in the 60 fry or were fry when you had them?

bob saget
02-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Oh no worries, yes, i started this all with 5 platys, and 1 died almost immediately. This could be more than 2 years ago. I still have a first gen platy.
I am thinking of starting to maybe give them out for free or sell for like 1 dollar on craigslist. Do they have a pets section?

tetra
02-09-2010, 09:45 PM
if your keeping him in the small tank till he gets bigger... he may become lazy, or stunt his growth

james20
02-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Yes, Craiglist has a pet section but so does this site.

bob saget
02-11-2010, 03:12 AM
Yes, Craiglist has a pet section but so does this site.

yea but i dont want to deal with shipping them, i'd rather just do it local.

annageckos
02-11-2010, 03:29 AM
You can *sell* animals on CL, you will get flagged. But you can *rehome them with an adoption fee*. But I think you are going to have a very hard time finding homes for them. Good luck with it. With you pleco, it really does need a bigger tank. There is more than just how much room the fish has when figuring out tank size, bioload, aggression, activity and other factors play a part in it too.

bob saget
02-12-2010, 09:12 PM
i got about 3 replies within the hour i posted my platies :)
Tried zucchini for the first time with my guy, ate right through a half inch thick piece.