PDA

View Full Version : Tank mates for Black Skirts and Rummies

Mark Hewitt
02-05-2010, 08:14 AM
As per my sig I currently have 5 Black Skirt Tetras who have been in the tank nearly 2 months now and 5 Rummynosed Tetras who have only been there just under a week.

But I'm already thinking of what fish to get next. Firstly since I have a 64 litre / 17 US gallon tank, how am I doing in terms of capacity?

In getting more fish I'm concerned about getting some which are compatible with the current inhabitants. We did have 3 Guppies in the tank, but they didn't survive, partly because the Black Skirts kept nipping at them all the time.

I'm thinking along the lines of Mollies or Platies, but I just want males as I don't want to have to deal with fry too!

Any advice appreciated.

Northernguy
02-05-2010, 02:22 PM
I think mollies would work with those tetra.

EmmanuelJB
02-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Mollys and Platys would work, but I would get a few more of each tetra first. Tetras like to be in schools of at least 6 and more would be better. So maybe 2 more of each tetra and/or 2-3 platys.

hannah24l
02-08-2010, 10:10 AM
hi. i have a 64litre tank - fishbox 60 from pets at home. i have 5 black skirt tetra's and 5 danios: 3 zebra, 2 leopard. i also have 3 otocinclus catfish. they all get along very nicely.

Lady Hobbs
02-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Since you have 10 fish already and only a 17 gallon tank, I don't think I'd add much of anything now unless you maybe wanted a couple more of what you already had. 17 gallons doesn't have much swimming space.

Mark Hewitt
02-08-2010, 10:52 AM
hi. i have a 64litre tank - fishbox 60 from pets at home.

Snap! I have the exact same one.

Mark Hewitt
02-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Mollys and Platys would work, but I would get a few more of each tetra first. Tetras like to be in schools of at least 6 and more would be better. So maybe 2 more of each tetra and/or 2-3 platys.

Are there any issues with getting just males of mollys or platys? As seemingly unlike everyone in the world, I don't want to breed the fish!

gabbyguppy
02-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Are there any issues with getting just males of mollys or platys? As seemingly unlike everyone in the world, I don't want to breed the fish!

The only issue with having all males is you might need more than what your small tank can hold.

I have all male Platies and they sometimes 'fight amongst themselves'. If you just put two in your tank, the more submissive one is likely to get picked on. Upping the numbers will spread around the aggression, but I'm not sure that's an option with your tank.

Karen

annageckos
02-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Your about at your limit in that size tank. I would maybe add a couple more fish to the schools you have but that is it.

Oscar_freak12321
02-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Maybe a few pygmy cories on the bottom would look nice. Not much else you can add to that stocking. :22:

Bristley
02-08-2010, 02:52 PM

If you're not looking to breed then you definitely would want to make sure you don't get any females, especially with mollys. From what I've heard/read if you have a male and a female molly then you WILL have fry eventually.

Like others have stated, I think that aggression would be a problem with only a couple and you would need several to minimize one fish receiving the brundt of the bullying.

Personnally, I think annageckos said it perfectly.

Your about at your limit in that size tank. I would maybe add a couple more fish to the schools you have but that is it.

Mark Hewitt
02-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Like others have stated, I think that aggression would be a problem with only a couple and you would need several to minimize one fish receiving the brundt of the bullying.

So as far as mollys are concerned, either get three or more, or a single fish?

Do they do ok on their own? As others have said I don't have a lot of spare capacity so getting a single molly might be a better idea?

Mark Hewitt
02-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Do they do ok on their own? As others have said I don't have a lot of spare capacity so getting a single molly might be a better idea?

Or perhaps a Molly and a Platy?