PDA

View Full Version : mts in cichlid tank

korith
02-05-2010, 03:11 AM
Got some new rocks for my cichlid tank, so was redecorating. Noticed a horrible outbreak of malaysian trumpet snails in the tank. I probably picked up at least 100+ in about. Think I curbed the mass reproduction for now.

I did add in a few assassin snails and they are roaming about, but horribly outnumbered.

Are there any fish that would go after snails but be safe from the other fish in the tank. Have lamprologus leleupi, and brevis shelldwellers in the tank, 40g breeder. The snail killer wouldn't have to be permanent, could just be temporary in this tank.

Ordered a 12" pair of tweezers! Hopefully they got the crushing mauling power needed.

http://www.naturescontrol.com/images/sluggo_snail.jpg

EmmanuelJB
02-05-2010, 03:16 AM
That sucks! Have fun! :hmm3grin2orange:

rhonin
02-05-2010, 03:47 AM
I have had this in the past and the volume is dependant on the amount of "food" in the tank.

If you have live plants they are great for stirring up the sand/gravel and helping prevent pockets of waste.

As the volume of eating material for these guys goes down, the population will also decrease.

I find these beneficial for my planted tanks (actually, all my tanks are planted).

thumbs2:

korith
02-05-2010, 04:05 AM
No plants in this tank yet. Getting some anubias in a few weeks. The rest of the tanks are all planted. Haven't been overfeeding the tank. I think give the substrate a good cleaning this weekend.