View Full Version : How do i get rid of algae without killing my fish, snails, or plants?

02-05-2010, 12:56 AM
My tank is starting to develop algae. How do i get rid of it?

02-05-2010, 12:57 AM
What size tank, what lighting, what plants, what kind of algae?

02-05-2010, 01:15 AM
Its brown. I have medium to bright lighting. Growing on fake plant. 30 gal

02-05-2010, 01:16 AM
Does it wipe right off, like a powder? How old is the tank?

02-05-2010, 01:23 AM
Yes, it comes off when i touch it. The tank is 6 weeks old.

02-05-2010, 01:34 AM
those are diatoms, it should go away in a few weeks

02-05-2010, 01:40 AM
This happens with new tanks. It does no harm, so nothing to worry about it. You can wipe it off the sides of the glass with a cloth/sponge. Can rinse the deco to get it off. If you want you can use a graval vac and siphon it out. Once your tank matures it should go away.

Just wait till your tank gets way too much light and you get the nasty green algae, that's when the fun begins:hmm3grin2orange:

02-05-2010, 01:49 AM
How do i get rid of that ?

02-05-2010, 02:13 AM
i like to have some algae in my tanks....i let the back wall grow algae and then i use a floating magnet scrubber for the front and sides. a razor blade works well for tough spots on the glass.

05-13-2010, 06:38 PM
I like to let the algae (green) grow on my fake tree root in my aquarium as algae occurs naturally and i think it make my fake tree root look more real.19764
i am not sure if it shows here but there is a ton of green and brown algae on this fake root and my pleco's cannot get enough of it. they all hang out on or under this all day almost never on glass.

Some of the brown stuff you see in the tank is actually the good bacteria so be careful what you get rid of.

05-13-2010, 09:12 PM
The blown 'aglea' is called diatoms. It is very common in new setups and will go away on it's own. Most fish love to eat it too. Remember that algea is NOT evil, and some algea can be good.

06-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Anything designed to kill aquarium snails probably isnít all that great for your ish and plants either. Never add chemicals to your tank unless you know exactly what the risks and likely side effects are. Most snail-killing chemicals contain high levels of copper