PDA

View Full Version : on hold...

korith
02-04-2010, 07:24 PM
So I get home today to find my normal internet connection is down. This has happened before, a neighbour doesn't pay their bill on time and the technician they send disconnects the wrong apartment, sigh. At the moment I've been on hold 29minutes...

not sure what is worse the repeated stock messages

thank you for holding...
we appreciate your time and patience...
we are having higher than normal call wait times...
we'll be right back with you...
your call is important to us...
*weep*:help:

or the annoying elevator music, being played loudly. I think it may be loud to make sure the caller stays awake while waiting.

Northernguy
02-04-2010, 07:32 PM
That music is there to put you to sleep!lol
Good luck with the rep on the other end.

What are they offering you for the disruption?lol

Cascade
02-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Sometimes, when I'm in the right mood, I talk back to the annoying recording. "Oh yeah? You care about my call? I'll bet you do."
I always wonder if someone is listening...like maybe they sort the incoming calls that way. "This one's a live one, keep her on hold another 30!" :hmm3grin2orange:

korith
02-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Sometimes, when I'm in the right mood, I talk back to the annoying recording. "Oh yeah? You care about my call? I'll bet you do."
I always wonder if someone is listening...like maybe they sort the incoming calls that way. "This one's a live one, keep her on hold another 30!" :hmm3grin2orange:

You know some places do record callers that are on hold.

That music is there to put you to sleep!lol
Good luck with the rep on the other end.

What are they offering you for the disruption?lol

Probably a mind numbing headache, while I try to explain to them what happened. Happened once before as well. If they don't a service back out today to fix it, they better be giving me a big break on the monthly bill. Shouldn't be too hard, just need to mention a competitors name.

fins_n_fur
02-04-2010, 07:43 PM
The few times I have had to call my internet provider, they at least give you an option of no hold music, or hold music.

Lukenasia
02-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Tell them that you will threaten to leave if this is not sorted and I don't get a free month. Thats all you have to say to these companies, they treat you like s**t until you say teh magic words, then most of the time they will blow through their noses to keep you because they make so much profit.

Alot of this ISP business is a sham really, promising you things that are impossible, like one of my rival cable companies says if I switch over to them I can get 50Mb broadband as my road has Fibre. Yeah Fibre is great, but when they say its in your street it means its shared between your street, and not only that is that the cable that actually goes into your house is a Coxial cable only capable of speeds upto 10Mb, mine supports 6.5 maximum, and I'm paying for 20 and its not even 6.5 all the time :spam:

They just know that people won't question them because they know nothing about the cables they are laying, if they say they are laying Fibre everyone jumps at the chance but unless you can pay off an installer on the sly, you won't get Fibre into your house and you won't get the speed they promised :spam:

An Angry Trained Network Techinican aka me :hmm3grin2orange:

Bristley
02-04-2010, 07:53 PM
If they don't a service back out today to fix it, they better be giving me a big break on the monthly bill. Shouldn't be too hard, just need to mention a competitors name.

We had to do that several times when we were renting, and it was mostly that the company providing our service just stunk.

The one thing they did do right though was that every time it happened they prorated our bill for the time lost.

Needless to say when we moved we still decided to switch companies and we haven't had a problem since.

korith
02-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Hehe, well switching is a bit of hollow threat from me. See the problem is this apt complex I'm in, has an agreement with direcpath (isp)to be it's only cable internet provider. They get some sort of kickback from this. 3mb down, 512k up, very slow service. The only other option I really have is at&t and some other company. For both of those I can only get 3mb down as well, unless I order some phone service or tv through them, in which case I can get 6mb or better down.

I did get through to them after 50minutes. Was told earliest they can reconnect is monday, I told them they can go ahead and terminate the account then. So they are sending out a tech tomorrow morning to reconnect. Got half off the bill. I know all the little scams they pull and can work the system well enough myself too:p

Not really a big deal I guess, I can borrow a signal from a neighbour till tomorrow. And saved a bit on my monthly fee. I kind of wish they would keep doing this every few months, would make the service more affordable:hmm3grin2orange:

BirdOfPray
02-04-2010, 08:43 PM
I kind of wish they would keep doing this every few months, would make the service more affordable:hmm3grin2orange:

Maybe you should tell them that... see if it motivates them to get more competent techs! ;)

souly
02-04-2010, 08:52 PM
You sure its not need the whole reset the modem trick? Mine goes out from time to time, and I reset the Modem and its back.

I just would love for the message to be honest:

We don't really care about your call, but you pay us so we have to help.
We arn't experiencing and more calls than normal, but we just like to keep you on hold.

Lukenasia
02-04-2010, 09:56 PM
I told them they can go ahead and terminate the account then. So they are sending out a tech tomorrow morning to reconnect. Got half off the bill.

See what I mean, you said the magic words and they bent over backwards, you are right its easy to do for two reasons, one because alot of people don't have the gut to say it, and two, it looks really bad on the guys/gals targets, and in that job, targets mean everything. Its the difference between a low paid job and being fired :hmm3grin2orange:

Glad to hear you got some good news out it though thumbs2:

korith
02-05-2010, 12:49 AM
See what I mean, you said the magic words and they bent over backwards, you are right its easy to do for two reasons, one because alot of people don't have the gut to say it, and two, it looks really bad on the guys/gals targets, and in that job, targets mean everything. Its the difference between a low paid job and being fired :hmm3grin2orange:

It's sad but that's the way companies do business. Until you say you are going to cancel, nothing happens. I know a lot of business have retention departments, where their reps get points/bonuses based on how many customers they "save" from leaving. Depending on how many more 'saves' they need that day, you can sometimes get a better deal.

You sure its not need the whole reset the modem trick? Mine goes out from time to time, and I reset the Modem and its back.

I just would love for the message to be honest:

We don't really care about your call, but you pay us so we have to help.
We arn't experiencing and more calls than normal, but we just like to keep you on hold.

I asked whether they had anyone working in the apt complex and it turned out they did.

That would make for an awesome on hold message... the honest truth.

korith
02-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Oh another thing...

While waiting I found out that while at&t does offer a 3mb down dsl service, if I go with their u-verse internet I can get 12mb down for $45!!! The only bad thing is the horrible $149 install fee. I'm tempted to call and see if they will waive it I change my service from the cable provider. Would totally be worth since the $45 att fee, less than what I'm paying now.