PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with this?

dragoonwoman
02-04-2010, 03:03 PM
I recently moved all my fish from a hex to a 46g bowfront. My fish are VERY happy with their new "world" and my GBRs spawned 11 days later.

I now have an empty 27g hex. MTS is trying to infect me, but I really don't know what to do with the tank.

It will have to be FW, and I want to keep live plants. Otherwise, I'm up in the air about occupants. I would consider making it a single species tank, with a CUC of some kind, but what would the species be? I could see it as an invert tank, too, with crayfish or shrimp.

What would YOU do with a 27g hex?

Lady Hobbs
02-04-2010, 03:04 PM
That would have to be a tank full of neons or cardinals for me.

dragoonwoman
02-04-2010, 03:07 PM
I have Neons in the 46 now, but could move them to the 27, add a whole bunch more, and get some other tetra to put in the 46. I need to keep a dither fish for the GBRs.

What would you have a CUC?

krystalsohun
02-04-2010, 03:37 PM
I would do neons with cherry shrimp and a big upward piece of driftwood in the middle with hornwort all over it. i think that wouls look nice imothumbs2:

dragoonwoman
02-04-2010, 04:18 PM
I've got the driftwood already. Found a branching upright piece on eBay for the original setup of the hex, so I'm good with that.

Hornwort, hmmm? Haven't kept that one. If my so-called memory serves, that's a fairly easy, low-tech plant.

Considering I have cherry shrimp in my 6, I'd like a different sort in the 27. Would whisker shrimp or crayfish be okay to keep with the Neons? I've read that some of the larger shrimp will attack, even kill, small fish.

Scrup
02-04-2010, 04:26 PM
That would make a great shrimp/snail tank.

Taurus
02-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Would whisker shrimp or crayfish be okay to keep with the Neons? I've read that some of the larger shrimp will attack, even kill, small fish.

Crayfish, unless it's some type of dwarf form, will catch and eat the neons.

Taurus
02-04-2010, 05:39 PM
I would do neons with cherry shrimp and a big upward piece of driftwood in the middle with hornwort all over it. i think that wouls look nice imothumbs2:

Great idea! The dwarf shrimp do not have to be cherries. There's all different types of dwarf shrimp. They made be more expesive than cherries thought. I'll see if I can find you a link.

Here ya go:

http://www.arizonainverts.com/

Northernguy
02-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Oscars!lol:19:

I would have a tank full of cardinals and Harlequins and name them all Oscar!:hmm3grin2orange:

dragoonwoman
02-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Great idea! The dwarf shrimp do not have to be cherries. There's all different types of dwarf shrimp. They made be more expesive than cherries thought. I'll see if I can find you a link.

Here ya go:

http://www.arizonainverts.com/

:22:

Thanks very much for the link! I've also been wandering around on Planet Inverts.com, reading all sorts of really good articles.

I'm leaning toward yellow shrimp with some colorful tetras (not necessarily Neons). Against healthy green plants, that would look good, I think.

Now I just have to talk my husband into letting me set the tank up!!

Crispy
02-04-2010, 08:43 PM
If your rams are spawning, maybe you could use that tank to growout the fry?

dragoonwoman
02-04-2010, 08:49 PM
I've never had any fry to grow out!

My GBRs have spawned 3 times now, and each time the clutches disappear in a few days. They turn white, which could mean fungus or infertility, and the parents slowly pick them out and eat them. This time the eggs were gone without 2 days.

If I ever DO have fry to grow, I'll set up my 20g tank for that.

William
02-04-2010, 10:20 PM
I am going to suggest something rather different from what have been discussed. How about some dwarf puffers?

Gesp56
02-05-2010, 12:29 AM
I would pick some time of smaller shrimp like glass or red or maybe orange bee, they are really pretty. However if you want a bigger prettier shrimp, that will get 2 inches, long i suggest the flower or bamboo shrimp. Don't pick crayfish as the eat plants and fish. As for fish, cardinals or neons are ok but black skirts or gold pristella are much better. However if you do decide to pick a smaller breed of tetra, as skirt and pristellas are about 2 inches as adults, look out for something uncommon like the glass tetra, emperor tetra, columbian tetra, diamond tetra, or the congo tetra. All of these if you can't find them in stores can be found online at www.liveaquaria.com for cheap prices. Please post pics of the tank wenever you finish it!

As for dwarf puffers they need brackish waters, and are much harder to care for, i would stich to tetras and shrimp.

WoadCelt
02-05-2010, 01:31 AM
Yes I've heard that dwarf puffers can be tricky to look after too.... but they are sooo cute!!!

If I had the tank I would use it for keeping some more awesome tetras! :shappy: There are lots of different types so I'm sure you'll be able to find an amazing one that suits you if you don't want further neons (although I think they rock). :ssmile:

i_am_511
02-05-2010, 02:03 AM
Dwarf Puffers DO NOT need BRACKISH WATER. YES dwarf puffer need FRESHWATER. They are like 1 of the only true fresh water puffers. Alot of people get confused with that they actually dont need any salt at all in there water.

And ive had good luck with dwarf puffers in a mixed tank. When i had 1 he/she was bad but once i got them another partner it was good i had 4 at one time.

Gesp56
02-05-2010, 03:07 AM
ok watever, when my friend had a dwarf puffer he used brackish water and it ended up living to be 7 years old....

dragoonwoman
02-05-2010, 01:36 PM
I would like to get something OTHER than Neons for the fish, not because I dislike Neons, but because I'd like to bring a little "wow" factor to the tank, as it's unusual looking to start with. See the attached pic and you'll understand.

I'll research dwarf puffers, because I've never kept them and I don't want to try keeping fish if I can't provide what they need.

Thanks, everyone for your input. I'm still open to more ideas, so don't hold back!!

:22:

(I still have to broach the idea of setting the 27g up to my husband. He's not into fish, BUT he LOVES the 46 bowfront!!)

CGY_Betta_Guy
02-05-2010, 05:35 PM
How about Endler livebearers... I love the coloring of the males and they are quite active little guys, plus they nibble a bit at algae growths around the tank. A cheap way to start is with a group of 2 males and 3 or 4 females and in a month or two your tank will be FULL of them.

Taurus
02-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Here's a link to a site that specializes in dwarf shrimp and nano species of fish
that would do well in a small aquarium.

It's a great reference site.

http://www.franksaquarium.com/nanofish.htm

I've been reading a lot on this forum about sparkling gourami, too.

dragoonwoman
02-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the link. While I was checking it out, I found that there's an aquarium show in a town near me in 2 weeks. They will be having an auction on Sunday which is open to the public, so I may go see that.

I'm sure there will be lots of other good stuff to see and learn while I'm there. This is SO cool - I've never been to an aquarium show!

CGY_Betta_Guy
02-05-2010, 09:18 PM
here is another link in case you might think about mixing shrimp types... someone posted it for me on the AC last month.

Shrimp compatability chart (http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/dwarf_shrimp_compatibility_chart.shtml)