PDA

View Full Version : How to move fish from one temp to another

Jlorenzo
02-04-2010, 06:11 AM
I have 2 Dojo loaches in a tropical tank now (I know bad) and I am getting another tank that will be a cold water tank. I was wondering what would be the easiest way to transfer them to the tank with the temperature that they are meant to be in with as little stress as possible.

Little Embers
02-04-2010, 12:54 PM
How big a temperature difference will there be? If it isn't a drastic drop, you can acclimate them like you normally would going into a new tank. If it is a significant change and you have a spare heater, I would use that in the new tank for a while and gradually lower the temperature until you reach the desired temp., or use a combination of hot/cold water in the new tank, acclimate the fish as normal and let the tank naturally cool down and this should give the loaches time to adjust (that is if the ambient temp. isn't so cold that the tank temp. drops suddenly). The most important thing is to afford any sudden fluctuations.

Northernguy
02-04-2010, 04:09 PM
This method of acclimation works very well.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=39559&highlight=drip+acclimation

Scrup
02-04-2010, 09:49 PM
drip method would only work going from warm to cold. The water would cool too fast to go the other way.

I personally would just do the bag method if the only difference was temp. If it was a big temp drop, use a bigger bag (I've used trash bags with my goldfish before.)

More water in the bag=slower cooldown=longer acclimation(which is a good thing)

Dojo's should handle it pretty well, they are pretty durable fish IME.