PDA

View Full Version : Angelfish in a community tank?

Aydreean
02-04-2010, 05:42 AM
The Gourami's in my tank are getting really agressive with each other and I am afraid I'm going to have to take them to my lfs and trade them in. I really want some bigger fish in my 45 gallon and I have seen angelfish with some platies and mollys at stores before. I know keeping them in 3's will help curb aggression and I read on the forums if you get them small they wont mistake your fish as food.

My question is, are angelfish alright for my 45 gallon? specs are in my sig.

Garrett
02-04-2010, 06:00 AM
Looking at your stocking list, I'm surprised the tiger barbs aren't the source of more trouble for you. Honestly, I'd be worried about them and an angel, especially when the angel's young. I wouldn't get more than one in a tank that size, and honestly you might want to consider buffing the Tiger Barb shoal before you do anything else. What are the gouramis aggressive with? Each other? The barbs? Or the other guys in the tank? That might be a better way to approach your issue.

Northernguy
02-04-2010, 06:00 AM
I think 3 is a great number for them also.
They may show aggression if two pair up.
They may not look at the tetra as food when they are small but when they get bigger that may change.Not always but there is always a chance.
They are cichlids.
I agree about the barbs too!

Aydreean
02-04-2010, 06:10 AM
I should take your advice about the tiger barbs. Adding 3 more will establish that pecking order and all. The gouramis are aggresive with each other and don't seem to even mind the other fish in there.

I really am looking for a larger peaceful fish to be a focal point for the tank. That was my intention with the gouramis. I had a lot of different species in it but no real "zing" fish.

Taurus
02-04-2010, 05:12 PM
I should take your advice about the tiger barbs. Adding 3 more will establish that pecking order and all. The gouramis are aggresive with each other and don't seem to even mind the other fish in there.

I really am looking for a larger peaceful fish to be a focal point for the tank. That was my intention with the gouramis. I had a lot of different species in it but no real "zing" fish.

Are the two gouramis male? If so, that may be the reason for agression toward each other. Here's what I suggest and not everyone is going to agree with it. Take one gourami and the tiger barbs and see if you can trade for and Angel Fish. One gourami has to go and so do the tiger barbs. Then you could have a single medium juvy angel (color of your choice) in your tank without issue.

The only time I'd risk tiger barbs in with Angels is if the Angel was an adult. NG's right about one thing, Angels are cichlids. I don't see anyone in your tank messing with a healthy adult Angel.

Lady Hobbs
02-04-2010, 05:20 PM
I just gave a male angel to my son for his tank because I had two males and one female. One or a pair will work but odd-balls are the one who catches all the agression. They are fine when you see them at the store because they have not reached maturity yet.

I would not try to keep angels with Barbs unless perhaps cherry barbs.

Taurus
02-04-2010, 05:31 PM
I would not try to keep angels with Barbs unless perhaps cherry barbs.

I'm not advocating keeping tiger bars with angels. In general I think it's a bad idea.