PDA

View Full Version : Moss Ball with snails

Owlbehere
02-04-2010, 03:42 AM
Is there a way to remove snails and eggs from a moss ball safely? I'm getting rid of the plants and going to an artificial tank. I don't want to reinfect the tank with snails but I really enjoy this little thing.

Cliff
02-04-2010, 03:58 AM
I've had to clean brown algue of mine

I just put it in a bucket of tank water and kept sweezing out the water until it looked clean. Maybe you could try the same thing

VoidParadigm
02-04-2010, 01:33 PM
A quick dip is a bleach/water solution should kill any eggs. For the actual ratio of bleach, you should go pm LadyHobbs or someone similar, as I can't recall it right now.

EddyC
02-04-2010, 02:40 PM
The usual ratio of bleach to water is 1:19. In other words, the bleach should be 1/20th of the total solution or 5%. Hope that helps!

Owlbehere
02-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Ok thanks, exactly how quick is a quick dip?

Neon
02-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Hi guys , i had tons of snails in my tank and last sunday i simply added 1 assasin snail ...result nearly all the snails are gone !!!
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ehrgjY8fFaABKM:http://www.coralaquariumshop.com/images/anentome%2520helena.jpg

Owlbehere
02-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Neon I would have loves
to do that no where around here sold them and it was too pricey to get them online.

EddyC
02-04-2010, 04:54 PM
A bleach dip can last anywhere from 30 seconds to 7 minutes on average. It depends on the plant. Soft, squishy or delicate plants can't take the bleach for as long, and 30 seconds is best for them. Tough-leaved and hardy plants can last much longer - I've left anubias in a bleach dip for 5 minutes! The only drawback is that some of the leaves (esp. the older ones) lose their color and die off, but the plant quickly recovers.

I'd go with 30 seconds if I were you.

First rinse the moss ball under warm tap water and try to get off the eggs yourself. Then prepare a bucket with the dip mixture and another with tank-temp tap water to which you've added 5x the amount of dechlorinator needed for the amount of water in it. (Bleach is de-activated by dechlorinator) I allow the plants to recover in this water for 5-10 minutes, and "rinse" them while they're soaking (I rub the leaves with my fingers in the same way I would if I were rinsing under running water). After that they're good to go.