PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Shrimp keep dying

Bellie816
02-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Well I bought 8 ghost shrimp a few weeks ago. Well within a week 2 had died...and then 2 more... so now I am down to 4. I'm not sure why they are dying! I have 3 platies and a mystery snail in there so I don't think anything is eating them. Every so often i find little shrimp parts and then I realize another one is dead. I don't have a *ton* of hiding places so I don't think they are hiding to where I can't find them. My water parameters are good... Ammonia and Nitrite 0... Nitrate is getting to about 30ish when I check once a week and I am doing weekly water changes of 25%. My PH is 8.0 and my hardness is 16... would this affect them?

I just think the little guys are cool and wonder if maybe they just aren't hardy enough or something. I would like to keep some cherry shrimp in my 55 gal when I get it but don't want to buy them if they are going to die off like this as well!

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! :ssmile:

Northernguy
02-03-2010, 11:00 PM
It may not have been a healthy batch.
Are you sure its not just the shell from a molt?
They may be hiding until the shell hardens.

Bellie816
02-03-2010, 11:03 PM
It may not have been a healthy batch.
Are you sure its not just the shell from a molt?
They may be hiding until the shell hardens.

Well I don't have a lot of places for them to hide... the few places they hide I only see the 4. I'm not sure... I haven't been able to count more than 4 in the past week. So my PH and hardness wouldn't be killing them? I thought they were pretty adaptable but just thought I would ask. I will have to keep tabs the next week and see if I am able to count more than 4.

When they molt is there several pieces of their shell? Or is it all in one piece?

smaug
02-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Ghost shrimp are very fragile.It is not uncommon to have no luck with them even with perfect params for them.

EmmanuelJB
02-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Shrimp are very sensitive to water conditions. Have you tested your water? Do the others seem healthy? It could of just been those few that were sick from the start...

Good Luck!

Zilla
02-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Bump

Did you test your tank for copper?