PDA

View Full Version : Skinny Guppy

SkarloeysMom
04-30-2007, 03:40 PM
I got a couple of male Fancy guppies about 10 days ago. One is totally fine but the other one is sick. He started off just kind of swimming a little strangely and not being as active as the other. In the past few days he looks like he's gotten REALLY skinny. He's still eating fine it seems. I'm not sure if his belly has turned white or it just looks that way because he's so skinny now. I can't see any white spots like Ick. Any ideas?

The tank parameters in my freshly cycled tank are:
0 ammonia
0 nitrites
5 nitrates
Ph 7.0

The tank cycled without the fish
I added 1 TBSP aquarium salt to the tank when I set it up

cocoa_pleco
04-30-2007, 09:44 PM
could be tuberculosis. watch him and see if he slouches and gets hunched

SkarloeysMom
04-30-2007, 11:08 PM
YIKES! I was hoping no one would say that because that's what I was suspecting. He didn't seem to have any of the symptoms except for the dramatic weight loss. The only other thing I found that matched his symptoms was Vibrio (vibriosis). I read it on the Fishline <http://www.w3page.com/fishline/troubleshooting.php>. Anyone every heard of that before?

Anyway, put him in my 2.5 g last night and put some Meracyn-2 in there today but since I just got him 10 days ago and he was the only one of the guppies that seemed to be having a problem, I took him back. Now I'm just praying he didn't spread it to all the fish in the 10 gallon. I'm not going to replace him. I think I'll just see what happens from here. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just medicate the 10 gallon tank anyway.