PDA

View Full Version : Brand New 20g High Setup Help!!!

KSASTER2
02-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Ok here goes... I have right now a new 20g high setup = tank, stand and stock hood...

Questions...

1. filtration will an aqua clear 30 and a 20 be over kill or that ok? shoud I go with a different option...

2. also i wanted it to be semi planted and am leaning towards sand for substrate anyone have a better idea (i really like the look of sand but not sure if that the best approach)...

3. lighting it came with a stock hood and bulb what should i upgrade the fluoresent bulb to...

4. My idea for this tank is semi planted, a few fish, and inverts....really looking foward to crabs, hermit crabs, and will clams work?

All help is apprecited Ill have pics up and running as soon as I make my filtration, substrate, and lighting decisions.

Bristley
02-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Welcome to the AC, glad to have you aboard.

I will let someone with more experience chime in on this one as I'm still fairly new myself.

Good luck and can't wait to see pics. thumbs2:

toysrus
02-02-2010, 11:44 PM
The 20 or the 30 is good enough,both sound like overkill to me,but wait for a more experienced reply if ya want.

souly
02-02-2010, 11:54 PM
Ok here goes... I have right now a new 20g high setup = tank, stand and stock hood...

Questions...

1. filtration will an aqua clear 30 and a 20 be over kill or that ok? shoud I go with a different option...

(I would go with a just one 30 filter.)

2. also i wanted it to be semi planted and am leaning towards sand for substrate anyone have a better idea (i really like the look of sand but not sure if that the best approach)...

( I use pool filter sand mixed with a Plant substrat such as Flourite)

3. lighting it came with a stock hood and bulb what should i upgrade the fluoresent bulb to...

(Depending on what you plan to plant yes, you'll probally need to update. Usual role of thumb is at least 2 watts per gallon at 6500k spectrum.)

4. My idea for this tank is semi planted, a few fish, and inverts....really looking foward to crabs, hermit crabs, and will clams work?

(if you do fish, crabs would not be a good idea)

All help is apprecited Ill have pics up and running as soon as I make my filtration, substrate, and lighting decisions.

My replies are in the qoute. Don't forget to Cycle the tank! And pick up the Free Ebook while your at it! Helps wonders, and welcome to AC!

Scrup
02-03-2010, 07:02 PM
hermit crabs will need a place to get out of the water, they can not live submerged. Other crabs are opportunists and will snatch a fish whenever they can, or at least part of one.

Clams..not sure. I do not know how well they would do in a brackish tank, there may be brackish clams, but I would not be able to tell you. Certain snails would work. Again you will be limited because of the brackish (but you also get some options you can not get with FW.)

Remember not all plants can deal with salty water. With enough research and a little trial and error, this should turn out great!

toysrus
02-04-2010, 10:04 PM
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=36065&highlight=high+parameters

Owlbehere
02-04-2010, 10:16 PM
Questions...

I like to use double filtration. If you have two filters rated for a 20g tank then if one breaks down you still have one running. Also the ratings on the filters can be deceiving, after you add media the flow is cut down. My rule of thumb if I have a 20G tank I get two 20G filters... Or one 40+ filter but then I'm screwed if it breaks.

I have had sand before and it looks awesome. I think it depends on what you want to have planted. Some plants become uprooted easily from sand and a fine gravel would be better. Plant substrate is best but you said you only want it semi planted

Depending on the plants you use you may or may not.

Crabs need a place to get out of the water. Hermit crabs drown in water (thats why you need to put a sponge in their water bowl). I have no experience with clams so can't answer that one.

Thats just my two cents :22: