PDA

View Full Version : Kenya tree coral not opening

Tigerbarb
02-01-2010, 09:03 PM
I recently decided to try reef again. While at my lfs, I noticed an attractive Kenya tree coral swaying with the current. The guy at the store said that these will tolerate lower lighting, so I assumed it would do alright in my 20g. I drip
acclimated it, and later, the arms began to expand while the polyps started to open.
Yesterday, the coral was constantly trying to open, but closing after several minutes. This behavior went on throughout the day, until finally it closed for the night. My question is, is this normal? How long does it usually take before a coral will look, you know, happy, like it was in the store?

labnjab
02-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Sounds like a typical kenya tree to me. Ours will ocasionally go a week without opening

MCHRKiller
02-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Whats your water parms, and when was the last time you changed your bulbs?

Tigerbarb
02-02-2010, 02:54 AM
The pH is 8.6, the ammonia is 0, and the nitrite is 0. This isn't like a delicate sps coral or anything, so i didn't test for nitrate. The SG is 1.025. I should probably replace the bulb as soon as possible, as I got it in May...If the coral never opens I'll assume that the lighting is the problem.

Thanks everyone.

MCHRKiller
02-02-2010, 06:11 AM
Its not a delicate SPS, but all corals really should have nitrates under 10ppm to thrive and if yours is over 20ppm it could be causing some stress to the coral for sure. Your bulb also isnt putting out the lumens it was fresh out of the box, I would suspect it to be your main cause :22:

Tigerbarb
02-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Its not a delicate SPS, but all corals really should have nitrates under 10ppm to thrive and if yours is over 20ppm it could be causing some stress to the coral for sure. Your bulb also isnt putting out the lumens it was fresh out of the box, I would suspect it to be your main cause :22:Okay, I will test my tank's nitrates tonight when I get home. As for the light, I will try and order a new one. Thanks for your help!