PDA

View Full Version : Omfg Shes Like Dead?!?!?!

VoidParadigm
01-31-2010, 06:34 PM
Yes, I regret to say, the title is exactly how I reacted when I thought I saw my big female Wood Shrimp, dead in the corner. :hmm3grin2orange:

I have successfully experienced my first shrimp moult scare.
Was positive my big female was dead, until I counted the shrimp.
Had to take a step back to figure out why in the world I had a carcass in there, but both my shrimp were still alive. :hmm3grin2orange:

Anyways... As this is the first time my big shrimp have succesfully moulted (had a smaller female do it, but she died when complications arose) what do I do with the "carcass"?

Will the shrimp take care of it itself? Should I just throw it out?
:help:

Oscar_freak12321
01-31-2010, 06:41 PM
Well...crawfish usually eat their exoskeletons once they are through with it, but these guys aren't crawfish...I guess you could just take it out...but you'd have to get a secondary opinion on it.

VoidParadigm
01-31-2010, 06:42 PM
Well, I'll leave it in until a better experienced person comes along. It's just kinda creeping me out 'cause it's on the side of the tank closest to where I'm cooking right now, so, it's kinda creepy looking. :lol:

And I think my other one is going to moult soon too. Aha. The girls have their cycles matched up. :hmm3grin2orange:

Oscar_freak12321
01-31-2010, 06:43 PM
Lol good plan, that is a bit creepy :hmm3grin2orange:

Rue
01-31-2010, 06:43 PM
Creepy, ain't it? :hmm3grin2orange:

VoidParadigm
01-31-2010, 06:45 PM
I swear it's glaring at me as I cook. lol.

Why, oh why, did I have to move Mother's birthday gift downstairs a week early! :lol:

Sarkazmo
01-31-2010, 07:11 PM
These are Bamboo Shrimp aren't they? Filter feeders? RCS, Ghost, and other non filter feeding shrimp will eat their shed carapace. Filter feeders don't that I know of. Anyway, if they've not eaten it by now it's probably not going to happen.

Sark

gm72
01-31-2010, 07:13 PM
I, too keep bamboo shrimp. Left the exoskeletons in the tank and they were gone in a few days. Not sure who got them but someone enjoyed them. Certainly no harm leaving them in.

VoidParadigm
01-31-2010, 07:15 PM
Do you keep them with other fish or just that species of shrimp, though? This pair are alone besides the pond snail eggs I haven't scraped out yet.

Oh well. I'll leave it until this evening. If it's not gone by then, I'll trash it.

gm72
01-31-2010, 07:26 PM
Keep 4 of them in a 55 with about 1.3 million fancy guppies and 5 panda cories.

VoidParadigm
01-31-2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the help, everyone.

Red
01-31-2010, 07:41 PM
Yeah it will be fine, wont pollute the tank or anything.

VoidParadigm
01-31-2010, 09:32 PM
Molt completely successful it seems. Covered the tank with a towel for a few hours. Know I didn't technically have to, but after the little one dying, just want to make sure these two moult with as little stress as possible, especially since it's the first one while they're under my care.

One who just moulted still looks a bit soft, but she's starting to pick at the food particles in the water again, so I'm not that worried. With the little one, afterall, the problem was obvious immediately.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

VoidParadigm
02-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Update:

The smaller of the two girls is sitting on top of the bigger's moulted pieces, picking at them. When I added food she didn't go back to her usual spot on top of the highest rock, so, I guess they do eat it, it just takes them longer.