PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do...

JKT22
01-31-2010, 05:58 PM
I have had one betta now for around three years now. The past couple of months it has not been looking to healthy. I haven't changed its enviornment at all and the temperature and water quality has also stayed the same.

At first I thought it was a bloating issue, because it didn't have much of an appetite and there was large bloating occuring. I tried to feed it peas as suggested but the fish wouldn't eat them. Then it just started to look worse, not moving much, slumped over on the bottom of the tank. So I began to medicate with an all in one treatment. This seemed to help some, brough back the appetite and seemed to be a little more active. I believe I may have discontinued the treatment to soon because it went down hill again. So I medicated again for the recommended amount of time.

It now has its appetite back and is swimming a little more but definitely not to the point where it used to be. It still seems to struggle swimming, and sits at the bottom 90 percent of the time and somewhat slumped over and even on its side at times. There are no other physical signs I can see, fins look healthy, scales are not protruding, one eye looks a little cloudy but am unsure about that.

I have have had this fish for a long time and I'm at a loss. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate them. I rescued this fish from Walmart and it has been through a lot in getting healthy and it usually can make it through anything, but this time its harder. Please Help!!!

Jessie

Rue
01-31-2010, 07:36 PM
At that age, I think it's safe to assume the fish is nearing the end of its life.

Once a decline in health has begun, I don't think you can change it. Just keep doing what you're doing so the fish stays comfortable and less stressed (vs. the stress of a change in routine).

William
01-31-2010, 07:38 PM
I agree. 3 Year is an old Betta. I sorry but atleast your Betta has had a long happy life.

Northernguy
01-31-2010, 07:41 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!
Are there any growths or bumps on him?
Do you do water changes often?
Have you a test kit for perameters? Ammonia,nitrites, nitrates.
Keep the water pristine through water changes.Maybe one very other day for a week.
Most have a three year lifespan.I have heard of some living 5 but thats rare.

JKT22
01-31-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks, that is kind of what I was thinking, but good to hear it from others to be sure. Its amazing how attached we become to them.

Sarkazmo
02-01-2010, 12:16 AM
A Betta's personality can get you really attached to the Betta. They're one true 'pet' fishes in our hobby. EVERYONE names their Betta because Betta need a name. :)

You gave him a good, long, happy life.

You should post some pics of him, we'd love to see him.

Sark