PDA

View Full Version : Festivum eggs

Genirous
04-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Hello everyone,
today I was very excited, because in the afternoon when the lights went on, I saw the one of my two festivum guarding around 50 eggs layed on the internal filter!
Too bad I have not a digital camera to upload some photos...yet...!

So, I put the eggs on a spawning net and add an extra pump in my aquarium to make more aeration for the eggs!
Do you believe I need to do something else?
When I first saw the eggs, where transparent with a glace surface and now that I am writing one by one turn into a white colour with glace surface!

cocoa_pleco
04-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Add melafix and pimafix, or some other anti fungal medicine to prevent the eggs from getting fungi.

Congrats!

xoolooxunny
04-29-2007, 10:11 PM
yes, melafix and pimafix both are safe for the tiniest of fry, i know from experience. I dosed my tank for a week with both for finrot on two males, with the freshly born-that-day fry.

Just be sure to crush some flake food up ultra small for the fry.

Lady Hobbs
04-29-2007, 10:24 PM
If raised with parents, they will remove dead eggs but taken from the parents, most of the breeders I know of use fungal meds and began removing it when fry are wigglers. I think since they are in a fry net, you wouldn't want to do that as the whole tank would be treated. You could put them in a gallon jar of water from the tank and add an airstone and treat.

Most eggs in any spawning die off and it's probably a good thing since many fish lay hundreds and hundreds of eggs.

Genirous
05-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Hello again,
thank you all for the replies..!
Unfortunately the experience came out a complete failure...:confused:

The eggs were something like this (http://www.zhero.com/stock/BP_0421.jpg), but without the blue coloration! After the removal to the fry net, after some hours all took a white (from transparent) colouration...
Some bad moves by me, some bad greek advices and no result...:14:
So...I have read some artices saying that if a couple is created and spawned, they will do it again... Is that true..? If yes, please tell me the best way to manage the eggs...

Thank you again for you time, George!

Lady Hobbs
05-01-2007, 02:37 PM
The air can not hit the eggs at all. If they are moved, they must be moved within seconds before air can hit them. It's not uncommon for the first batch to all die off, either. Perhaps you should let the parents tend to the next batch and see how it goes. They will breed again/and again/and again. LOL

http://fish.mongabay.com/species/Mesonauta_festivus.html

Genirous
05-02-2007, 06:13 AM
They will breed again/and again/and again. LOL

LOL! Thanks Lady Hobbs...!
If I let the parents do their job, will I have to add melafix, primafix or methylene blue in the tank or maybe something else to help the eggs..?

Lady Hobbs
05-02-2007, 01:30 PM
No. The parents will care for them as they do in nature. They eat the fungus and dead eggs away from those that are good. I had a pair of angels recently spawn and all eggs died, as well. I believe the male was just "practicing" at being ready. You are lucky to have found a pair and apparently have provided perfect water conditions for them.

When they spawn again, place a bubbler near the eggs so they get good oxygen. Good luck.

Genirous
06-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Hello once again from Athens!
I have some news, good and bad!
So, yesterday at noon, after my return home from work, I fed my festivum and got to sleep for a couple of hours! When I woke up, I saw the female guarding and tending her new laied eggs...!!!
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/Genirous/P6160619.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/Genirous/P6160620.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/Genirous/P6160624.jpg
She wouldn't let the male close enough, but when she did, he aerated the eggs with his tail and also swam over them (as he was fertilising them)...
I was watching them for an hour or two and they keep on doing the same thing, the female was the dominant tank fish and she was more concerned for the male (not to let him close) and less for her eggs...
I had to pay a visit to some friends in the afternoon, so I left...When I returned at night, I took a flashlight, but unfortunately the eggs existed no more...
The female was at the same place, like she was still watching her eggs, but no eggs...
What do you think happend..?
Did she ate them..? Did he..? Did the snails..?

genitor
06-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Do they have other tankmates?

Genirous
06-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Just one remaining hatchetfish...

Lady Hobbs
06-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Fanning the eggs is something they will both do. I only see one dead egg in that whole batch. I hope you get some fry this time out.

nanaglen2001
06-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Just let the parents do their job. I saw two dead eggs, but as mentioned before, the parents will pick them out.

It may take a few spawning efforts till they raise some fry, but with évery try they will get mor rotine, and in some weeks you will see a cloud of fry swimming beneath the oldies