PDA

View Full Version : Questions about marine inverts...

EmmanuelJB
01-31-2010, 01:04 AM
I have a few questions about inverts for a 10 gallon SW tank.

1. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=16+2158+2224&aid=2180 Can that type of starfish live in a 10 gallon? (I read they they can live in smaller tanks...)

2. Are starfish compatible with other SW inverts (Shrimp, Snails, Crabs)?

3. Heres a list of inverts I want is this ok?
2-3 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
3-5 Snails (Probably Margrita Snails)
2 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp and/or 1 Banded coral shrimp (I know shrimp like a bigger tank so I will probably be upgrading)
Possibly 1 Starfish (probably the one in the link)

4. Do inverts produce alot of waste? Do thay contribute alot to the bioload?

Thanks!!

MCHRKiller
01-31-2010, 02:36 AM
I personally wouldnt keep a starfish or a shrimp outside of maybe a peppermint shrimp in a 10G tank. Skunks and Coral bandeds grow pretty good sized the tank just does not offer them adequate space. To keep a pair of Skunks...you would need atleast a 3ft tank. A 3" animal of any sort in a 10G SW tank is just to much, starfish are also difficult feeders and sensitive to water quality.

EmmanuelJB
01-31-2010, 02:39 AM
Thanks!! You have been sooooo helpfull!!!!

bluebluecow
01-31-2010, 10:49 AM
I was going to reply and say I wouldnt, as they need a well established biug tank. I have a 20ish G tank and so far my critters are

2 white turbo snails
3 painted turbo snails
2 orange legged hermits
1 blue legged hermit

This seems to be working well with everyone getting food and being happy.

I put half a seaweed sheet in the other day and the ehrmits demolished it lol

Liz

rageybug
02-02-2010, 05:01 AM
Many species of starfish are tough to keep in any sized tank. The smaller the tank, the harder it can be. They are pretty picky when it comes to water conditions. A larger tank is much more forgiving when it comes to toxins in the water. Think about putting a drop of food coloring into a glass of water. Now picture putting the same drop into a bathtub of water. The smaller the water volume, the bigger the contamination.