PDA

View Full Version : White threads on cabomba

wlepse
01-30-2010, 07:43 PM
I planted some cabomba a few weeks ago and some seem to be growing pretty well and others seems to rot away near the substrate but even those seem to be growing. But all of them seem to have these white thread like things coming out of several nodes on each plant. Is this normal or is it a sign something is wrong?

Deleted User
01-30-2010, 07:51 PM
It's normal. If you cut the plant just below the nodes strip off the bottom two pair of leaves above the node and plant the cutting it will be come a new plant. It is the new root system the cutting will anchor itself into the substrate with. :ssmile:

Leave the parent plant planted and where you have taken the cutting should split into two new plants from the top too.:ssmile:

wlepse
02-01-2010, 12:25 AM
OK...just noticed that there are some of the cabomba "leaves" floating around and on one stem in particular a node has been picked clean. I still haven't seen the offender but is it normal for any of the following to mess with it? I have danios, mollys, platies and cory.

rich311k
02-01-2010, 12:30 AM
The mollys and platies are omnivores but they usually dont eat live plants. They will nibble at algae, especially hair algae. If it is caused by a fish they would be my pick but I doubt it.

Deleted User
02-01-2010, 12:32 AM
OK...just noticed that there are some of the cabomba "leaves" floating around and on one stem in particular a node has been picked clean. I still haven't seen the offender but is it normal for any of the following to mess with it? I have danios, mollies, platies and cory.

Yes. Your molly's & Platys will be the ones doing the damage. The danio's may have a nibble too. But your live bearers will be the main culprits.

wlepse
02-01-2010, 12:33 AM
So far all I have seen is the cory working his way up and down them looking for some grub. I'll have to sit and watch. I know I have seen the mollys and platys pull out moss. I wouldn't mind if they ate it but they seem to do it for fun.

wlepse
02-01-2010, 12:53 AM
Well just caught the platy picking...seemed innocent enough but maybe she knew I was watching. :hmm3grin2orange: