PDA

View Full Version : How many snails do you think?

gm72
04-29-2007, 07:42 PM
In my 40 gallon long tank, how many snails do you think I should have? I know it all depends on a great many things, but given that the tankmates are peaceful and the only other bottom dwellers are corys, what do you think? I am thinking of getting 5 of them. Does it even matter as long as they are fed properly?

wijnands
04-29-2007, 07:54 PM
All depends on the species of snail of course but my experience is that keeping the number of snails down to a decent level is a lot more of a challenge than deciding how many to start with.

I didn't buy any snails at all and now have two species. One stays down to a decent number but the other ones are multiplying like crazy. I chuck in some green such as cucumer or a leaf of boiled spinach. Next moring I dump it in a net and the 30 snails that are on it are gone as well.

Chrona
04-29-2007, 07:58 PM
Yep, unless you only get olive nerite snails, you will have a few dozen to a few hundred in that 55g in about a month, depending on how much you feed.

gm72
04-29-2007, 08:12 PM
Well, cool. Maybe. I have 4 mystery snails, 2 gold and 2 blue, in my daughter's 35 gallon and so far no babies. So I guess I'll start with 2 in the 40 and see where that takes me. Thanks, guys!