PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on adding more fish to 29 gallon

Kris42
01-30-2010, 01:46 AM
Hi All,

My son and I have a school of 11 Neon Tetras in a 29 gallon long aquarium. I also have a few danios that the store talked me into cycling with when I started (I know, I fell for it!) I've decided to set up another tank just for the danios, because I don't like them with the Neons.

So, I was wondering about what to add in with the Neons. My son would like at least one Platy, but he also likes Silver Hatchetfish, which I believe need to be in groups of 5. Not sure if one Platy would be happy solo.

Would the Neons, Silver Hatchetfish and a Platy all get along? I've tried using some of the compatibility sites, but I get mixed results.

Thanks, you guys are awesome!
Kristy

annageckos
01-30-2010, 04:22 AM
The hatchets should be in schools of at least six, more would be better. They are jumpers and you need to have every possible hole covered. Even if it looks too small for them cover it. You should also have some floating plants for them, it will help them feel safe. Larger school and cover will help to keep jumping to a minimum. If you want a platy I would do two or three. They are not schooling fish like tetras but do like to be in groups. You could add two or three females or males. I wouldn't mix the sexes. If you do you would want two to three females for each male you have. Also if you do get females they may already be carreing young.

rich311k
01-30-2010, 04:42 AM
I agree with Anna. Those fish would get along and would fit in your tank. You could add some cory cats for the bottom as well.

Kris42
01-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Thanks, I'm going to think on the Hatchetfish; I'm not sure I want to take on jumpers!

Would the Platys be okay with the danios until I get them to a new tank? We are going to try to get two male Platys.

Thanks,
Kristy

rich311k
01-30-2010, 11:45 PM
Platys and danios will be fine together.