PDA

View Full Version : Starting a 55 gallon tank

Bellie816
01-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Alright so I've finally made my decision- I am buying a brand new 55 gallon set-up...the Tetra Deluxe starter kit with a nice black wood stand. I'm very excited! This will definitely open up my options for different fish.

I currently have my 10 gallon up and running, so what I thought I would do is cut a piece out of my bio filter and add it in the 55 gal and also a few scoops of rock. Maybe even an artificial plant or two. Hopefully this helps speed up the cycling. How long do you think it would take using this method? I'm still going to use the fishless method like I did with my 10 gal.

I'm wondering if the dual Whisper filter that comes with it is enough filtration. I was thinking about adding my Aquatech 5-15 for a while until I could afford a second better filter if needed.

I'm planning to do the natural brown gravel (since I have about 20 lbs left over of it). I wanted to do black gravel with a black background, but I am on a budget and not sure if I want to spend money on gravel. :ssmile: I'm gonna go with artificial plants for now....going to try and densely plant it with artificial plants and decor for the fish to have hiding places.
I want a peaceful aquarium that's colorful and active.
Here are the fish I'm thinking (stocked over several months of course):
Cardinal Tetras
My 3 platies from my 10 gal
Zebra Danio
Cherry Barbs
Harlequin Rasbora
Cherry Shrimp
My Mystery Snail from my 10 gal
My 5 Ghost Shrimp from my 10 gal
Emerald Green or Peppered Cory Cats

There are 3 fish that I'm not sure of.... I really like the idea of Tiger Barbs but I know they are semi-aggressive so not sure about that. I like the Dwarf Gourami but not sure if they get territorial at all. Also like the Glass Catfish cause they are just cool looking.

So that's the plan! Any suggestions, ideas, constructive critiscm are greatly appreciated. Also any changes or ideas for fish stocking as well. I will post pictures as I go along. :hmm3grin2orange:

cichlids209
01-30-2010, 12:52 AM
Alright so I've finally made my decision- I am buying a brand new 55 gallon set-up...the Tetra Deluxe starter kit with a nice black wood stand. I'm very excited! This will definitely open up my options for different fish.

I currently have my 10 gallon up and running, so what I thought I would do is cut a piece out of my bio filter and add it in the 55 gal and also a few scoops of rock. Maybe even an artificial plant or two. Hopefully this helps speed up the cycling. How long do you think it would take using this method? I'm still going to use the fishless method like I did with my 10 gal.

I'm wondering if the dual Whisper filter that comes with it is enough filtration. I was thinking about adding my Aquatech 5-15 for a while until I could afford a second better filter if needed.

I'm planning to do the natural brown gravel (since I have about 20 lbs left over of it). I wanted to do black gravel with a black background, but I am on a budget and not sure if I want to spend money on gravel. :ssmile: I'm gonna go with artificial plants for now....going to try and densely plant it with artificial plants and decor for the fish to have hiding places.
I want a peaceful aquarium that's colorful and active.
Here are the fish I'm thinking (stocked over several months of course):
Cardinal Tetras
My 3 platies from my 10 gal
Zebra Danio
Cherry Barbs
Harlequin Rasbora
Cherry Shrimp
My Mystery Snail from my 10 gal
My 5 Ghost Shrimp from my 10 gal
Emerald Green or Peppered Cory Cats

There are 3 fish that I'm not sure of.... I really like the idea of Tiger Barbs but I know they are semi-aggressive so not sure about that. I like the Dwarf Gourami but not sure if they get territorial at all. Also like the Glass Catfish cause they are just cool looking.

So that's the plan! Any suggestions, ideas, constructive critiscm are greatly appreciated. Also any changes or ideas for fish stocking as well. I will post pictures as I go along. :hmm3grin2orange:

Congrats on the new tank! :) ,the cherry barbs ,rasbora and cardinal tetra are all schooling fish .They should be kept in groups of 6 or more the others im not sure about . Tiger barbs can be very nippy towards alot of fish and the gourami ,sorry i dont know alot about that fish. Just that keeping two males is a no no :) good luck and post some pics . For the filtration have you thought of upgrading it ? maybe in the future if your in a budget right now . i would suggest 2 ac110's if it were me or a nice canister filter i am a fan of doubling the filtration but some people dont want it or think you will have current problems with the hob filters ...

Bellie816
01-30-2010, 12:57 AM
I would like to double the filtration eventually. I am still pretty new to fish keeping but from what I understand it's better to have extra filtration then it is to have not enough. I'm thinking it will take several months until my tank is fully stocked, so I don't think I will need another filter right away. I believe the one that comes with the kit is similar to the Tetra 30-60 gallon filter ... so I know that's probably just the minimum filtration for the 55 gallon. Thanks for the help! I will post pics as soon as it is up.

manciniat
01-30-2010, 01:23 AM
congrats on the new tank. thumbs2:

Bellie816
02-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Well I'm dying waiting to get my tank (waiting for tax refund, lol). So I'm thinking about how to set it up. I know I'm going to heavily stock it with artificial plants and artificial floating plants. Also a few ornaments like caves and rocks and such.

I'm wondering how much ammonia to add for fishless cycling. In my 10 gallon, I was adding a teaspoon which was wayyy to much...so I'm thinking of starting with that.

How long do you think it would take to cycle since I'm going to add some of my bio fiber from my cycled 10 gallon and some gravel? I'm hoping just a week or two.

I've decided to add Pearl Gouramis to my list of fish... as long as they are in stock at the LFS or I can order them. They are definitely a beautiful fish. :hmm3grin2orange:

toddnbecka
02-02-2010, 05:03 PM
You can use filter media from your 10 gallon tank to seed the new setup, much faster than starting from scratch. What kind of lighing will you have on the tank? Fast growing live plants like Najas and/or duckweed are also helpful, particularly for new setups. They will absorb some ammonia directly, as well as nitrates after the ammonia is broken down.

Bellie816
02-03-2010, 01:28 AM
I will have flourescent lighting... nothing special just run of the mill bulbs. I really wasn't planning on doing live plants... I just prefer the hassle-free artificial plants but densely planted for lots of cover. Even though I use some of my existing filter media, I still need to add ammonia for the fishless cycle before adding my fish, right? Just like I did in the 10 gallon but with cycled filter media to add to it?

Cliff
02-03-2010, 01:49 AM
I would like to double the filtration eventually. I am still pretty new to fish keeping but from what I understand it's better to have extra filtration then it is to have not enough. I'm thinking it will take several months until my tank is fully stocked, so I don't think I will need another filter right away. I believe the one that comes with the kit is similar to the Tetra 30-60 gallon filter ... so I know that's probably just the minimum filtration for the 55 gallon. Thanks for the help! I will post pics as soon as it is up.

If you do choose to up-grade your filter, my I suggest a fluval 405. Its a canister filter and the manufacture states it can handle a 100 gal tank. I have one of these on my 55 gal and it seems to help. From what I have read, it is easier to maintain you water levels when you have a little extra filtration

manciniat
02-03-2010, 02:20 AM
Even though I use some of my existing filter media, I still need to add ammonia for the fishless cycle before adding my fish, right? Just like I did in the 10 gallon but with cycled filter media to add to it?

yes, add your seed media and start the fishless cycle as usual.

this is what i did when i started my 75. i added one filter pad to each of my emperor 400s, out of a 125 with a high bio-load and it took my cycle 10 days.
using a piece of media out of a ten to seed a 55, yours will more than likely take alittle longer.

when i first added the pure ammonia, i added 20 ml ( to a 75 gal ) and it gave me 8 ppm, which by the instructions, is to much. its better to start low, than add too much first thing. also i went to the dollar store and bought a medicine dropper for children, it has lines marking 1ml - 5ml. it makes it so much easier to know exactly how many ml your adding.

cichlids209
02-03-2010, 02:54 AM
If you do choose to up-grade your filter, my I suggest a fluval 405. Its a canister filter and the manufacture states it can handle a 100 gal tank. I have one of these on my 55 gal and it seems to help. From what I have read, it is easier to maintain you water levels when you have a little extra filtration

that 405 would still only be rated for bout 50 gallons .. filters only do about half of what there rated . if she wanted a canister id suggest a rena xp3 . there cheaper than a fluval 405.[ on dr fosters and smith there 115 shipped ] and rated for 175 gallons which would be bout 85 ,90 gallons of filtration.

Bellie816
02-05-2010, 11:28 AM
I got the aquarium set up yesterday! It is looking great already even without fish, lol. Here is a pic:

http://i45.tinypic.com/33y2uro.jpg

I got a free bag of gravel with the purchase of the aquarium kit and stand, so I went with 25 lbs of black and 25 lbs of the natural brown I already had. It looks pretty cool mixed! I added some pretty blue acrylic stones to make it interesting. I went with a black blackground... I really want the fish to pop. It also has like a metallic blue on the other side so that would look cool too.

I have lots of artificial plants added already. I plan to add about 6 more large to medium plants after the 55 gal is cycled and I can add my fish from my 10 gal. I'll have the plants to add from the 10 gal and also 3 ornaments and a floating plant for fry. I added the floating plant because I plan to keep my platies plus more so this way I can try to raise fry. I want the tank to be densely planted so there are plenty of hiding places for the fish.

The filter that came with the kit is a Whisper 60... it has the dual sides and filters and bio-sponges instead of the fibers. It is actually pretty powerful! I plan to add a second filter down the line when I have my tank more near fully stocked to help with the water quality. I figure it will be fine for now considering my fish will be added slowly over a period of months. There is a 200 watt adjustable heater which is working great! I have it at about 80 F.... I know that a little bit warmer water helps grow the bacteria faster but not too warm or it will kill the bacteria.

I added a few large spoonfuls of gravel from my 10 gal and also I cut about a quarter of my bio-fiber and added that in front of my sponge on my 55 gal. I'm hoping this will help the bacteria grow fast! (crossing my fingers, lol... I am very impatient!)

I experimented with the ammonia a bit... I added 2 teaspoons last night...tested about an hour later and ammonia was at 1. So I went ahead and added 2 more teaspoons hoping to hit somewhere between 2 and 4. I will maintain that 2-4 ppm until it starts dropping to zero.

I'm planning to add my 3 platies, 4 ghost shrimp, and 1 mystery snail once it's cycled. Then about 1-2 weeks later I'm thinking I will add 3-6 more platies and some more ghost shrimp or cherry shrimp. Then after that... small schools... neon tetras, cherry barbs, zebra danios, and my pearl gouramis. That is the plan!

Okay so how long before I should be testing for nitrites/nitrates? Sooner because I added the filter media?

I'm so excited! The aquarium looks awesome! :hmm3grin2orange:

Bristley
02-05-2010, 02:04 PM
First off I want to say that your tank looks great. I can't wait to see more pics as you progress through you plan. :22:

Now, IMHO I think you should test for Ammo, NO2 & NO3 daily and keep a chart of your params so that you can track progress. This will help you to know how your tank is progressing, and it will give you something to do everyday with the tank as opposed to just sitting and waiting.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted.thumbs2:

Cliff
02-05-2010, 04:52 PM
I would aggree with Bristley, I found it very helpful to track the progress of the ammo, NO2 and NO3 so I could tell when was the best time to start adding my fish.

There's a chart in the link I inserted below that shows a average cycle for a tank. I found my 55 gal was close to this timeline.

Thought it might help

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=58431

Bellie816
02-11-2010, 01:35 AM
Well so far I have been testing the water and my ammonia is remaining at 4-8 ppm. No sign of nitrites or nitrates yet. *sigh* lol here is the waiting part!! I added 2 more taller plants and bought a glass scrubber with a long handle to clean the inside of the glass. For some reason I had this white film settle on the walls inside the aquarium...it's hard to scrub off but if I work hard enough with the brush it slowly comes off. Not sure if this is hard water deposits already? The tank hasn't even been set up for a week!

My Aqueon 200 watt heater is now acting up more. I posted in another thread that it was clicking loudly whenever it turns on. Well it is continuing to do that but now it is not maintaining the temperature very well. It was maintaining 79-80 degrees for the first 4 days and then all of a sudden it was dropping a degree a day (without me having moved the dial). So I moved the dial up to increase the temp but it is still dropping in temperature. I contacted the company who is sending me out a brand new heater. Hopefully this one works!! I have read mixed reviews on these heaters.

My Whisper 60 is still pretty loud... I also posted this in another thread. I contacted Tetra and they gave me some pointers to see if that helped but it did not. They are sending me out a new impeller tube and all that jazz. If this new one isn't quiet then I am just going to have to live with it! Or buy an entirely different filter. I have to say I am very happy with customer service from both companies. :ssmile:

Here is an updated pic with the new plants:
http://i47.tinypic.com/2u5819v.jpg

The two taller plants are the newest ones added... the one in the far right corner and the pinkish-red one towards the middle. You can also see my little floating fry-saver on the top for my baby platies :ssmile:

Bristley
02-11-2010, 12:36 PM
My Aqueon 200 watt heater is now acting up more. I posted in another thread that it was clicking loudly whenever it turns on. Well it is continuing to do that but now it is not maintaining the temperature very well. It was maintaining 79-80 degrees for the first 4 days and then all of a sudden it was dropping a degree a day (without me having moved the dial). So I moved the dial up to increase the temp but it is still dropping in temperature. I contacted the company who is sending me out a brand new heater. Hopefully this one works!! I have read mixed reviews on these heaters.

Yeah, it sounds like you just got a bad heater. Even with a company with good quality controls in place sometimes you get a piece of equipment that fails on you in short order. The problem is when that happens over and over again. Then you need to think about switching to a different company's products.

It's good to hear though that both of the companies you're dealing with are willing to help out and support their customers.

Bellie816
02-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Well it's been 2 weeks since my 55 gallon has been up and running. Still no change in ammonia or nitrites! It seems like this one is taking a little bit longer than my 10 gallon so far... which would probably make sense considering it is much larger. My ammonia is remaining at 4-8 ppm... 0 nitrites.

Can anyone give me a tip as to how long it might take to cycle? I added a small amount of bio filter from my 10 gallon... but that's about it. In the mean time I must be patient :hmm3grin2orange:

Bellie816
03-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Well after weeks and weeks of cycling with ammonia it didn't really appear that I was getting anywhere. My nitrites had climbed to .50 but then dropped back to 0 a few days later. My nitrates were non-existent and my ammonia was remaining at 2 ppm...never dropping to zero. So yesterday I decided to add my 4 platies from my 10 gallon to get things moving along. I did a large water change to help get rid of that ammonia and then added the platies. I kept my mystery snail, ghost shrimp, and 1 platy fry in my 10 gallon until I see what happens with this one. So hopefully all will be well in a week or so and then I can start slowly stocking my aquarium.

What a journey! :)

Bdj470
03-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Weird how this process works. I read another post in the cycling forum where the poster seen movement around the two week mark in their 55 galloon tank.

I am in the process of fishless cycling my 29 gallon tank. Today starts day 15 and I have yet to see any movement in my ammonia or nitrite levels. Ammonia at 4 -5 ppm, Nitrites at 0 ppm.

Going to wait for my process longer. I know for some reason that I am going to see something happen soon.

toddnbecka
03-28-2010, 05:04 PM
Get some used filter media from an lfs or someone else with an established tank to seed the new setup. Adding fish won't help, they don't carry the nitrifying bacteria.

Bellie816
04-05-2010, 02:32 AM
Well I added my 4 platies from my 10 gallon to the 55 gallon a week ago. The levels are all fine now, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrates 20. I added my mystery snail today and also 6 zebra danios. I plan to add 6 more zebra danios in a week or two. So far so good! I will move my platy fry from my 10 gallon and my ghost shrimp when the fry is big enough not to get eaten. thumbs2:

Bellie816
04-25-2010, 11:22 PM
Everything seems to be going well in the 55 gallon! I have taken down my 10 gal... I transferred all my platies (including the fry) and mystery snail and ghost shrimp to the 55 gal. I have added some new fish...right now my stocking in my 55 looks like this:

2 blue platies
1 red platy
1 ghost shrimp
1 mystery snail
3 chinese algae eaters
6 zebra danios
8 tiger barbs

I just added the tiger barbs today. I added the chinese algae eaters because my aquarium was starting to get some brownish algae on the sides and bottom... they are very efficient! Overnight about half of it was already gone. I plan in two weeks to get some more fish...not sure what yet though. Any suggestions?