PDA

View Full Version : My Anemone could be happier - but how?

sheamurai
01-28-2010, 01:32 AM
Hi All
My tank has finally cycled, I have a few corals in there now, and everyone, tho new, seems to be doing well.
Everyone except my anemone. I have only had it for two weeks, but shouldn't it be somewhat acclimated by now?

It has flecks of white all thru it, and a bulb in the centre of the tentacles. I have been feeding it a small peice of shrimp every other day. I also recently acquired some coral food (Coral Frenzy) that I am feeding every third day (as I was advised to do when I got it). So far I have only fed that to the tank once. Next feeding is tomorrow.

Is there something I should test or add or do to help it settle in?

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
calcium - 420
salinity - 1.025
Coralife 2x65watt - 1 actinic, 1 10K compact fluorescents

I have been told that my calcium should be higher, I was going to pick some up my next trip to the fs.

so any help welcome for my poor anemone. I am hoping to get a clown that will choose to host in him, but I want him healthy first!

labnjab
01-28-2010, 05:53 AM
I think it could be 1 or 2 things.

An anemone really needs to be in an established tank to do well. One that's been running 6 months or more. Its not really a good addition to a freshly cycled tank. They don't like fluctuations. What kind of Nem is it?

The lighting you have isn't really enough for a nem either. I would recommend at least 2x96 watt pc's at the very least, but t-5's would be much better

Your calcium is great. Anemones don't have skeletons so they don't need high calcium levels. If you plan on keeping LPS or SPS the level is great of it falls between 390 and 450 but its best to pick a number and keep it consistant.

sheamurai
01-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks for replying, its a lot slower getting answers for saltwater than freshwater it seems.

Its a bubble tipped anemone. I got it from the same guy I bought the lights from, so it oughtn't be the lights, tho my tank is a bit deeper than his was. I will try moving him up higher in the tank and see if that helps. I'm thinking I can't put a 96 watt bulb in a 65 watt fixture....? I do it with my reading lamp tho, put a 100w bulb in a 60w fixture... :)
I do have some other corals (yeah, same guy - he was breaking down a tank and I couldn't resist snagging some of the corals even tho I knew I shouldn't). I had actually steeled myself against the expectation that the corals I got would die, becuase my tank is so fresh, but everyone has opened up and seems to be doing ok except for the anemone. I expected him to move on his own if he didn't like where he was, but I guess in a new tank he will stick to the rock he came on...

and thanks for the opinion on calcium levels. I'd sooner not start dosing anything if I can help it. Those are the levels I've had ever since starting up, so if I don't have to complicate things I won't!

thanks lab

Scrup
01-29-2010, 06:14 PM
With anemones like that who needs friends?

Sorry. Had to.

Good luck with sorting this out!

sheamurai
01-30-2010, 12:11 PM
With anemones like that who needs friends?

Sorry. Had to.

Lol
I guess you did...