PDA

View Full Version : Tail standing vs. swimming vertically?

CherrySparkles
01-26-2010, 12:51 AM
Hi everyone,

I was just reading about "tail standing" (fish swimming with nose straight up and tail straight down) and I'm not very familiar with it. Apparently it's a sign of disease in fish.

My betta has been swimming vertically (sometimes hovering near the surface looking at bubbles with his nose pointing straight up and drifting along on the current) but he is perfectly capable of righting himself and swimming parallel to the ground as well. He just seems to choose to sit like this and float in the water sometimes. He has no trouble swimming

So to confirm, is this just a normal behavior or could it be "tail standing" and a cause for concern?

Thanks!

Northernguy
01-26-2010, 02:30 AM
Are keeping up maintenance,water changes,filter cleaning in old tank water?
Have you tested lately?

CherrySparkles
01-26-2010, 05:41 PM
I test ammonia daily (the tank is NOT cycled, so I like to keep an eye on it) and I test nitrites/trates weekly. All levels are at zero.

The tank is 5 gallons and we run the filter with an ammonia absorbing cartridge. When I first started up the tank, I made a note of how long it took for the filter to stop absorbing ammonia, and I now change the cartridge about a week ahead of that point.

I do a 25-50% water change each week, and the tank is heated to 79-80 F.

rich311k
01-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Sounds pretty normal to me. My guys will do that at times. They can be nutty little fish.

Why niot remove the ammonia absorbers and just cycle the tank? Save you money in the long run.

CherrySparkles
01-27-2010, 12:23 AM
Sounds pretty normal to me. My guys will do that at times. They can be nutty little fish.

Why niot remove the ammonia absorbers and just cycle the tank? Save you money in the long run.

Good to know. It seemed harmless enough (like he was just choosing to swim that way) but I wanted to be sure. They're definitely little characters!

As for cycling the tank, I tried with it once (fishless), but it seemed unstable and ending up losing it's cycle - I think it was a PH crash. I might try a fishless cycle again though since feeding bacteria is more economical than ammonia chips!

Just so that I'm clear for the future, what would tail standing look like? Is it when the fish is swimming with their nose up and they're not able to right themselves, or they struggle to swim horizontally?

Thanks for your input!

rich311k
01-27-2010, 12:47 AM
If he was twirling and fighting to right himself, you would need to be concerned.