PDA

View Full Version : Best test kit for a reef aquarium?

SunSchein89
01-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Ok, so I'm still looking into all of the things I will need for my future reef tank. I might possibly be getting a used 55 gallon tank, stand, hood, lighting fixture with fans (two unknown white lights and two possible actinic bulbs included, but I'm probably going to get new ones anyway), two maxijet 900 powerheads, and some cleaning equipment over the weekend from someone on craigslist for $150-200 (listed at $200) depending on how well I can haggle :shappy: . Anyway, back on topic, I'm looking online and I see that the reef master test kit by API tests for calcium, carbonate hardness, phosphate and nitrate levels. However, I know for a fact that I should also be testing for ammonia, nitrite, and probably pH as well, especially when starting out and cycling the water. Is my best route to buy the reef master kit as well as the saltwater master kit which tests high range pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? I would think that somewhere out there is a test kit that contains all of the above. Is there such a product or would the best bang for my buck actually be ordering both of these test kits? If this is the best way to go, I found both kits on bigalsonline.com and they would run me $47.48 before shipping. Anyone know of a cheaper place to buy from or have experience with a better method of obtaining their testing materials? Also, what about refills? I didn't see any on the website, would I just end up buying the whole kit over again when I run out of one thing?

labnjab
01-25-2010, 11:08 PM
Your best bet is to buy the saltwater master test kit and then buy a seperate carbonate hardness and calcium kit. Phosphate test kits are pretty much useless in a saltwater tank. they are very inaccurate and dont read low enough. As far as i know noone sells everything in one. They dont sell refills for api kits but you can buy each test seperate. After your cycled theres really no need to test ammonia or nitrite and after a few monthsyou probably will only check nitrate every few months.

SunSchein89
01-26-2010, 03:49 AM
Gotcha. Thanks for the info. :ssmile: