PDA

View Full Version : Temperature for Colombian Zebra Pleco?

Akdiscus
01-25-2010, 09:32 PM
Thanks for welcoming me to your group. I have an immediate question:
I've had for a year a Colombian Zebra (L129) pleco, aka scribble pleco. It's difficult to find info about these guys.
He currently lives in my 92 gal. discus tank, which is kept at 84 degrees. He lives (face down) in a driftwood hole, and rarely comes out. Almost every night I drop food into his cave.
I'm wondering if the discus temperature might be too warm for him. The alternative would be to move him (with cave) back to a 46 gal. danio tank kept at 78 degrees. There's a yo yo loach and bristlenose pleco there too.
The bigger, warmer tank has gravel substrate; the smaller, cooler tank has a soft sand bottom.
Any opinions on where "Falcone" would be most happy and comfortable? I appreciate your help. Will update my profile later!

Northernguy
01-25-2010, 10:18 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!:22:
Here is some info for you.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=211
That is a wee bit warm but I think it should be ok. 82F would be better.
It really doesn't matter which tank it is in.I think its a preference.The only real concern is the temp.

Crispy
01-25-2010, 10:41 PM
Most plecos do well in higher temps. He should be fine. Feed him near his hiding spot when the lights are out.

Akdiscus
01-25-2010, 11:06 PM
Thanks, Shutterbug. I really don't want to lower the discus tank temperature, even to 82, as they're healthier and more disease resistant at 84. I just don't want anyone to be uncomfortably warm. So you think he's ok?

Akdiscus
01-25-2010, 11:07 PM
Sorry, your name is Northernguy. Well, I'm a northern gal:)

Akdiscus
01-25-2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks, Crispy. I guess I'll leave him in the big tank. Believe me, this critter gets curbside service every night - tongs filled with goodies at the mouth of his cave. But he looks pretty plump when I do catch a rare glimpse of him!

Crispy
01-26-2010, 12:37 AM
Thanks, Crispy. I guess I'll leave him in the big tank. Believe me, this critter gets curbside service every night - tongs filled with goodies at the mouth of his cave. But he looks pretty plump when I do catch a rare glimpse of him!

Sounds like he's doing just fine then. :)

Akdiscus
01-26-2010, 01:13 AM
I envy your green phantom pleco. Very hard to find in AK (never seen one) but the local dealers know I want one. Do you seem him/her out a lot?

Northernguy
01-26-2010, 02:13 AM
Got any pics of yours?:19:

Akdiscus
01-26-2010, 02:22 AM
Only on my cellphone. This could take a while:)

Crispy
01-26-2010, 07:41 AM
I envy your green phantom pleco. Very hard to find in AK (never seen one) but the local dealers know I want one. Do you seem him/her out a lot?

He's pretty big (6-7"), so he can't hide too well. In the darkness with my moonlights on, I can see all my plecos out and about.

Akdiscus
01-26-2010, 07:52 AM
Nice. I am thinking about rehoming my leopard sailfin pleco. Got him at about 2 inches - now he's at least 8 inches. I'm worried that he's too warm in my discus tank. Also he's quite messy - some mornings it looks like he went on a tear tp'ing the whole neighborhood. I don't mind that so much but I am concerned that the discus could be more prone to infection from grazing on an impossible-to-totally-clean substrate. I would only rehome him to a responsible seeming type with a tank at least as large.
What do you think?

Crispy
01-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Nice. I am thinking about rehoming my leopard sailfin pleco. Got him at about 2 inches - now he's at least 8 inches. I'm worried that he's too warm in my discus tank. Also he's quite messy - some mornings it looks like he went on a tear tp'ing the whole neighborhood. I don't mind that so much but I am concerned that the discus could be more prone to infection from grazing on an impossible-to-totally-clean substrate. I would only rehome him to a responsible seeming type with a tank at least as large.
What do you think?

Probably a good idea to rehome him. He's got an awful big bioload for a discus tank. If you're into exotic looking plecos, check out the leopard frog pleco (fairly easy to find and stay small) L134. They are very cool plecos.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=213

They only get slightly over 4" and don't cost a fortune (except maybe in alaska?!)

Akdiscus
01-27-2010, 09:26 AM
Thanks. I'll check out the leopard frog cutie and I think I'll start looking for a suitable home for Gibby.