PDA

View Full Version : Uh-oh!!!

Demjor19
01-25-2010, 04:40 PM
Last night I was feeding the Arowana, when I noticed her swoop down and tear a fairly large piece of fake plant off and eat it (yes, she swallowed it)! I tried pulling it from her mouth, but she would not let me have it. The piece was about 3-4 inches long and had a bunch of plastic leaves on it. I have a terrible feeling about this!!!:help:

Northernguy
01-25-2010, 04:43 PM
I don't think there is anything that can be done but wait it out and hope for the best!
I really hope it doesn't hurt the fish.It would be a tragic loss!

VoidParadigm
01-25-2010, 05:43 PM
I suggest you stop buying fish-flavored fake plants!
Good luck with her! Keep us informed.

krystalsohun
01-25-2010, 06:06 PM
she's gonna have a hard time getting that out. start the pea feeding just to help in any little way you can IMO. other than that hope for the best. I'd write that plant company though they need to know that there plants are easily broken.:11: good luck

HeatherB
01-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Oopps. I would pull out all the plastic plants. Maybe go with real plants? I would be afraid if she lives thru this, she may do it again...

Scrup
01-25-2010, 06:52 PM
eek. Biggest danger would be if there was metal in the plant, like a wire. The plastic hopefully passes through!

At 22", it likely will, but keep a close eye on her.

And try her on some real plants, maybe she wants a lifestyle change. You didn't leave any peta brochures open near the tank did you?

Demjor19
01-25-2010, 07:36 PM
This plant doesn't have any metal in it...just plastic. It's the type plant that is assembled in segments and can be made shorter or longer. At her size there really isn't much she can't destroy...she's 22" and very heavy! Also...real plants aren't an option, as I have a Giant Gourami that will devour them in a second. Will plastic digest or break down at all? Thanks for the comments all. I really hope this works out.

Crispy
01-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Dang Jordan, that sucks. I have no idea what will happen, but I doubt the aro will be able to pass it. Hopefully it can regurgitate the plant. Let us know if she is still eating normally. Best of luck with her! I would hate to see her harmed.

PS, I passed a loonie before (canadian dollar coin) :hmm3grin2orange:

Demjor19
01-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Dang Jordan, that sucks. I have no idea what will happen, but I doubt the aro will be able to pass it. Hopefully it can regurgitate the plant. Let us know if she is still eating normally. Best of luck with her! I would hate to see her harmed.

PS, I passed a loonie before (canadian dollar coin) :hmm3grin2orange:

I have been crossing my fingers for her to regurgitate it...nothing yet. She seems to be eating fine. I think I am going to fast the tank for a period of time and hope for something to give. I have had this fish since she was 1.5" long (3 years now)...that would be devastating to lose her.

LOL...that's gross!

Demjor19
01-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Still no passing (out of either end) of this piece of fake plant. She seems to be acting normal and looks to be very hungry. I am going to go back to her normal feeding schedule...whatever happens, happens I guess? Could it just remain inside her harmlessly for life? Possibly digest or break down?