PDA

View Full Version : Ich ?

SCOOTER
04-15-2006, 03:48 AM
Last week I purchased two angel fish who had/developed tiny white spots on their fins, one died and I culled the other (hard thing to do). My other three fish in the tank did not show any symptoms. Today I bought a baby Tiger Oscar and noticed a single small white spot on his & my Mollies side fin. My questions are, Is this ich I'm dealing with? Will this go away without treating the tank? If I should treat the tank what should I use? Can the fish survive this treatment since they are so young?

William
04-15-2006, 04:06 AM
Sounds like it and no it will nto go away by itself. There are several good ick treatments available in lfs. Just ask for Ick medicine.

You can also try and cure it by adding a small amount of salt to your water as Ick can't survive salt.

SCOOTER
04-15-2006, 04:15 AM
Thats what I was afraid you would tell me, looks like I will be making a trip to the fish store tomorrow. Do you think the baby tiger Oscar will survive the treatments? By the way, thanks for all the informaton you have provided.

William
04-15-2006, 04:24 AM
No prob. Happy to be of help.

Yes I think the Oscar will survive. Ick/Ich isn't that big of a problem as long as it is discovered in time.

I would take a look in the fish store and se if they have Ich in their tanks. It sounds like if atleast the angels were infected before you got them due to the rapid progress of the disease. Ich usually need more time to kill than the time you had your angels.

SCOOTER
04-15-2006, 04:53 AM
I'm almost positive it was the Angels that introduced it, I bought them from a chain pet store that has a ton of tanks. The tank I got them from looked clean, but there were only four Angels left.

rollie
04-15-2006, 10:50 AM
you need to be carelly of where you buy your fish!!!

SCOOTER
04-15-2006, 02:07 PM
I think I found that out the hard way. My next investment is going to be a quarantine tank, so hopefully I can catch any diseases before they are introduced.

Full3R
04-15-2006, 03:04 PM
what does culled mean, is that like killed and if so how did u kill it

rollie
04-15-2006, 03:23 PM
that the good idea.

SCOOTER
04-15-2006, 03:24 PM
It is some fancy term they use on the news when they kill birds that have Avian flu. I read on this site to put him in freezing water to put him to sleep, then I flushed him. Hopefully I did this the right way, as I would hate for him to have suffered.

Full3R
04-15-2006, 03:27 PM
i see

SCOOTER
04-20-2006, 04:39 PM
Just wanted to give an update on my Oscar, after 5 days of treating with organic Ich Attack the white spots are almost gone. I have two days left to finish the treatment.

William
04-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Good to hear.