PDA

View Full Version : Tetras

TheNewOne
12-24-2004, 01:04 AM
Are tetras easy to keep or do they die a lot?
Can I mix different tetras in the same tank?
How many tetras can live in a 15 gal tank?

ladyjai
12-24-2004, 04:50 AM
I would advise choosing your tetras carefully. some are easy, some are hard. What is the ph and gH/kH of your tap water? That will effect which ones I would recommend.

you can mix tetras, however in as small a tank as you have, I would only advise keeping tetras that do not get larger than 2 inches, and ALL the same species. You will see better behaviour, schooling patterns, and general well-being and health that way.

Is your tank planted? Is this your first time keeping fish? I would allow those to determine how many fish you can keep. If this is your first tank, and unplanted, than 10 tetras that don't get larger than 2 inches would be max I would advise. of course this assumes that there are no other inhabitants in that tank.

Komar
12-29-2004, 12:46 AM
I've got 17 Neon Tetras in a 20 gallon tank (with a bunch of other fish, too). I've had 20 tetras in total, so that's only three causalties. I'd say they're pretty hardy, considering they were my first tropical fish besides plecos and cory catfish. They also all adapted quickly to my 20 gallon tank after living for a few months in my 45 gallon tank.

One thing to add to Ladyjai's post is not to mix large and small types of tetras. Also, never keep less than 6 of a particular type of tetra together, as they school.

If you add lots of Limnophila sessiliflora plants to your tank, they'll be more secure and active, as they like to hide in this bushy, fast-growing, and easy to maintain plant:

http://www.tropica.com/productcard_1_popup.asp?id=047

In a well-planted 15 gallon tank, you could probably fit closer to 20 Neon (or Glowlight) Tetras, but I'd recommend maybe 12 to 15 and add three or four Otos (Otocinclus catfish) to clean up the algae. This would leave you with a tank full of small, peaceful fish.

In an unplanted tank, forget the Otos and stick with Ladyjai's numbers.

ladyjai
12-31-2004, 02:22 AM
neons are delightful, but if your water is hard, (overkH7/pH8.0/gh13) then you will take significant losses, and will want to look at other tetras.

TheNewOne
01-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Thank's for all the input! Yes, it's my first tank.
My tap water is not that hard.
Is a planted tank easier to maintain than an unplanted?

Komar
01-07-2005, 06:59 PM
I think a planted tank is harder to keep clean, in the sense that the plants' roots grow into the gravel, and you might have to remove dying vegetation from time to time. On the other hand, the plants themselves help purify and aerate the water; they suck up all sorts of stuff toxic to fish.

Plants also compete with algae for nutrients, so they might help keep the algae levels down.

I definitely recommend trying live plants.

Neptune
01-20-2005, 03:13 PM
Some species are very picky about water conditions, and others are more hardy. I only have experience with neons (when I was a kid) and gold tetras. I had no trouble keeping neons as a kid, but it is important to start with quality stock. Sometimes the ones you see in stores may not be the best choice for healthy stock.

Gold tetras are very picky about water parameters. I lost 6 out of a school of 8 due to hard water. My water is now more suitable for them (just moved) so I am hoping to build the school back up.

I think (can't speak from experience though) that Glowlights tend to be fairly hardy, as well as Pristella, Rummynose, Head and Tail Light, etc. Research them first though, because I am no tetra expert by any means.

Having live plants is the way to go, it's a bit more involved than just keeping fish, but the extra maintenance (pruning, replanting, fertilizing, etc.) can be fun! Not only do live plants look better than artificial, but they help to keep the water quality high as well. Of course they are not an alternative to regular water changes - they need them as much as the fish do.