PDA

View Full Version : Is a betta compatible with...

james20
01-24-2010, 08:17 PM
...Neon tetras, platys, Zebra danios and Cory Cats? I will have these fish in a 20 gallon soon. The filter is an Aqueon (or however you spell it) quiet flow 20. Would that be too strong for a betta? I might put another small filter in for extra filter power. The part the filter does not make a strong flow over is covered by an air pump, will Bettas be fine with that? Also, is Male or Female better (I like males better but by this I mean on aggression)? ThaNKs.

rich311k
01-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Depends on the male betta, the constant motion of the danios may bother him. It could work but have a backup plan ready.

ARN209
01-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Normally the females show no agression to other fish, however I have one girl that shreds the tails of fancy guppies. She's just plain mean. She's a yellow one and we put her with a yellow halfmoon male to spawn. She tore his tail all up, but they did spawn. I have kept bettas for years in tanks with other fish. They don't like current much, but they will find a dead spot in the water and hang out there. That's just my experience. Males are better looking, females are typically less agressive. You shouldn't have much of a problem keeping one or the other in your tank. All the other fish are much too fast for the betta.

EmmanuelJB
01-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Yes that should be fine. I do agree with rich that the zebra danios may both him.

james20
01-24-2010, 08:33 PM
When you say, "The Danios may bother him/her" do you mean they will just get the Betta a little annoyed or the Betta will attack?

rich311k
01-24-2010, 08:41 PM
He may hide or be agitated because of their constant motion. He may try to attack them but he wont be able to catch them.

james20
01-24-2010, 08:44 PM
He may hide or be agitated because of their constant motion. He may try to attack them but he wont be able to catch them.

I never knew danios were so.. fast... 0_o

Rue
01-24-2010, 08:53 PM
I've had them altogether without a problem...but if you try it be prepared to move the betta out if there are problems...seems to be an individual type thing...

fishkeeper21
01-31-2010, 06:44 PM
if u have only 1 male betta in your tank it should be fine but dont keep it with other fish with long fins and tails, like guppys, because the betta will nip them

EmmanuelJB
01-31-2010, 09:27 PM
When you say, "The Danios may bother him/her" do you mean they will just get the Betta a little annoyed or the Betta will attack?
They will just get the betta annoyed/stressed.

Sarkazmo
01-31-2010, 11:50 PM
Get some Hornwort for the Betta. Betta love to lounge in plants at the surface and wiggle through them. Also, they absolutely love Java Moss or any other soft mosses! Male Betta are couch potatoes, they love to get in their LayZ Boy recliners and watch the world go by. Females are great and much more likely to be compatible with other fishes. I've had as many as four fems in a 10G and once they sorted out who was boss it pretty much went smoothly. I actually have a female Swordtail that's meaner than any of the fem Bettas. Females are actually almost as colourful as males anymore. They still have that 'pet' personality too.

With male Betta you never know how they're going to react to tank mates. Some get along with every fish under the sun and others have a personal quest to destroy all life in the tank. As has been said above, have a backup plan!

I wrote a DIY for the boards here on how to make a flow diverter/diffuser. Here's the link. (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=44359&highlight=Diffuser) I'm using a 100GPH filter on a 1.5 Gallon Betta tank and he has no trouble what-so-ever with current.

Sark

luv2fish39
02-11-2010, 02:22 AM
So you can keep a male betta in a community tank? I have a 55 gallon tank and I have platys, mollies, guppies, neon tetras, black fin tetras, and bloodfin tetras and my cats. Would he be ok in the tank with them? I'm worried he would try to fight with them and kill them...