PDA

View Full Version : Co2less planted tank.

Drumachine09
04-28-2007, 02:51 AM
As mentioned in a previous thread, chrona said you dont need co2 as long as you have ferts. I know amazon swords, and java moss/fern are good without anything special, but what else would work? Cabomba is uber-cheap here, and i can get about 10 bushels for practically nothing, cause i got connections with the LFS. Could cabombas work? What about anubias, corkscrew val, and banana plant?

Chrona
04-28-2007, 02:56 AM
No I said if you don't have high lighting and keep undemanding plants, then you can skip CO2/ferts. (Though growth is obviously better with them)

Basic setup:

1x 15 watt fluorescent light strip
Gravel substrate
java ferns
java moss
anubias
Lots of rocks to attach them too (or driftwood)

If you have a rich substrate like Ecocomplete or Flourite:
Java fern
Java moss
Crypts
Hygrophila
Some varieties of ludwigia
Marsilea (ground cover)
anubias

Banana plants will work as well. Cabomba will probably survive, but it'll look gangly and not full, since it prefers high light. The idea is to get a bunch of low light plants that will THRIVE in your tank, as opposed to higher light plants that just scrape by. If you want deals on plants, then browse through plantedtank.net's swap and shop section. TONS of great deals. Lot's of people will give you common plants for only the cost of shipping

Drumachine09
04-28-2007, 03:01 AM
No I said if you don't have high lighting and keep undemanding plants, then you can skip CO2/ferts. (Though growth is obviously better with them)

Basic setup:

1x 15 watt fluorescent light strip
Gravel substrate
java ferns
java moss
anubias
Lots of rocks to attach them too (or driftwood)

If you have a rich substrate like Ecocomplete or Flourite:
Java fern
Java moss
Crypts
Hygrophila
Some varieties of ludwigia
Marsilea (ground cover)
anubias

Banana plants will work as well. Cabomba will probably survive, but it'll look gangly and not full, since it prefers high light. The idea is to get a bunch of low light plants that will THRIVE in your tank, as opposed to higher light plants that just scrape by. If you want deals on plants, then browse through plantedtank.net's swap and shop section. TONS of great deals. Lot's of people will give you common plants for only the cost of shipping

Ok, im making some money latley, and i think i can afford to shell out for 10-15 lbs of eco complete, some plants and such. i have the one strip light. Is there a special bulb i need too? I am really jealous of the planted tanks.

What would we do without chrona? Not have planted tanks!

Chrona
04-28-2007, 03:04 AM
Ok, im making some money latley, and i think i can afford to shell out for 10-15 lbs of eco complete, some plants and such. i have the one strip light. Is there a special bulb i need too? I am really jealous of the planted tanks.

What would we do without chrona? Not have planted tanks!

Is the strip light an AGA one? They come with 9000ish K bulbs, which will work fine. Basically as long as it doesn't have a yellowish tint to it, it's ok.

And if it's more than a year and a half old, then I'd replace it. Don't bother with the fancy plant gro bulbs. The normal daylight 6700k full spectrum bulbs work fine. Should be a few bucks.

Mm, let's see....perhaps have to look it all up yourself? :wink2:

Drumachine09
04-28-2007, 03:10 AM
Mm, let's see....perhaps have to look it all up yourself? :wink2:

Its AGA.

And put you out of work? NEVER! lol

Chrona
04-28-2007, 03:11 AM
Btw, don't have TOO high of expectations. Those amazing tanks you see in the pictures all have quite a bit of lighting, a strict fertilization schedule, pressurized CO2, ADA Aquasoil, etc, etc. So while your tank will probably not be breathtaking, it certainly can look nice. And should you decide to upgrade lighting/co2/ferts in the future, it's just an easy transition.

Just a disclaimer, lol.

Drumachine09
04-28-2007, 03:16 AM
Btw, don't have TOO high of expectations. Those amazing tanks you see in the pictures all have quite a bit of lighting, a strict fertilization schedule, pressurized CO2, ADA Aquasoil, etc, etc. So while your tank will probably not be breathtaking, it certainly can look nice. And should you decide to upgrade lighting/co2/ferts in the future, it's just an easy transition.

Just a disclaimer, lol.

I read it really fast, kinda like they do on TV disclaimers.

I know it wont look THAT good, but i imagine i could get it to look decent by my standards at least.

Chrona
04-28-2007, 03:19 AM
I read it really fast, kinda like they do on TV disclaimers.

I know it wont look THAT good, but i imagine i could get it to look decent by my standards at least.

kk, lemme know if you run into anything :)

Btw, make sure that the bag of Eco (if you get it) doesn't look milky brown or whitish. There was some reports of contaminated bags that leeched phosphates, but they fixed that problem. As long as you don't buy from a store that has had their bag sitting there for months, you should be fine.

Drumachine09
04-28-2007, 03:22 AM
kk, lemme know if you run into anything :)

Btw, make sure that the bag of Eco (if you get it) doesn't look milky brown or whitish. There was some reports of contaminated bags that leeched phosphates, but they fixed that problem. As long as you don't buy from a store that has had their bag sitting there for months, you should be fine.

Alright cool. I sold some un needed paintball stuff, so i should be getting another $40 tommorow, to add to my 22$, and if i wait another week, ill get another 30, and i might possibly get rid of another paintball gun which would be 75, so my budget will be fat. Just got to do everything right and not screw it up.

Chrona
04-28-2007, 03:24 AM
Alright cool. I sold some un needed paintball stuff, so i should be getting another $40 tommorow, to add to my 22$, and if i wait another week, ill get another 30, and i might possibly get rid of another paintball gun which would be 75, so my budget will be fat. Just got to do everything right and not screw it up.

I like that way of thinking :)

The substrate is the hardest thing to replace in a tank. Take it from experience, it's well worth it to invest in a good one right off the bat instead of sticking your fish in a bucket for 2 hours while you remove the clown puke and put in Flourite and do repeated water changes to get it clean again, lol.

Drumachine09
04-28-2007, 03:26 AM
I like that way of thinking :)

The substrate is the hardest thing to replace in a tank. Take it from experience, it's well worth it to invest in a good one right off the bat instead of sticking your fish in a bucket for 2 hours while you remove the clown puke and put in Flourite and do repeated water changes to get it clean again, lol.

Always dissing the clown puke arent we :ezpi_wink1: ? lol. Hey, in my defense, it came that way, AND its mixed with i think flourite. However, in my 29, i had pure clown puke...shut up...

Chrona
04-28-2007, 03:30 AM
Always dissing the clown puke arent we :ezpi_wink1: ? lol. Hey, in my defense, it came that way, AND its mixed with i think flourite. However, in my 29, i had pure clown puke...shut up...

lol, of course. I don't know if you've seen the old pics of my tank (check my thread in the plant section) but it looks AWFUL with blue gravel. I mean AWFUL, lol.

Drumachine09
04-28-2007, 03:33 AM
lol, of course. I don't know if you've seen the old pics of my tank (check my thread in the plant section) but it looks AWFUL with blue gravel. I mean AWFUL, lol.

Mine looked alright I guess. At one time, i had some orange gravel and i spelled out the new york mets logo in orange on top of the blue, but after one gravel cleaning, it all went away. It was cool while it lasted.

Drumachine09
04-28-2007, 03:37 AM
Ok, now that kinda beats down my idea of a betta. i dont know. hmmmmmmm

Chrona
04-28-2007, 03:40 AM
Ok, now that kinda beats down my idea of a betta. i dont know. hmmmmmmm

huh? :confused:

Drumachine09
04-28-2007, 03:55 AM
huh? :confused:

I heard on another forum that you can do a planted tank with a betta. Is it just BS?

Chrona
04-28-2007, 04:01 AM
Bettas are fine in a planted tank. They are carnivorous, so they're not gonna pick at the plants.

The only negative I can think of is that they make bubblenests. I know my dwarf gourami used to tear up some dwarf hairgrass to chuck in his bubblenest, but it wasn't that bad really. And I highly doubt a betta will be able to do anything to the likes of anubias or java fern.

Drumachine09
04-28-2007, 04:02 AM
Bettas are fine in a planted tank. They are carnivorous, so they're not gonna pick at the plants.

The only negative I can think of is that they make bubblenests. I know my dwarf gourami used to tear up some dwarf hairgrass to chuck in his bubblenest, but it wasn't that bad really. And I highly doubt a betta will be able to do anything to the likes of anubias or java fern.

Note to self: That forum is bull hockey!

cocoa_pleco
04-28-2007, 04:11 AM
bettas dont attack plants. My 2 in the 2.5g and 20g leave the plants alone.

Drumachine09
04-29-2007, 02:02 PM
After my match today, i am going to go ad pickup a bag of eco complete substrate. In another forum, chrona mentioned some cheap agricultural chemicals that i can add to the tank. What are they called?

Chrona
04-29-2007, 02:06 PM
After my match today, i am going to go ad pickup a bag of eco complete substrate. In another forum, chrona mentioned some cheap agricultural chemicals that i can add to the tank. What are they called?

If you aren't adding CO2, and are using that 15 watt light, you won't need it. Fish food/waste will suffice for fertilizer :)

Should you decide to upgrade in the future, here's where I'd get it from.

http://www.rexgrigg.com/ferts4sale.html

You would need KH2PO4, KNO3, and K2SO4. Also also CSM+B unless you decided to use Seachem Flourish for trace element/iron supplements.

Drumachine09
04-29-2007, 02:08 PM
If you aren't adding CO2, and are using that 15 watt light, you won't need it. Fish food/waste will suffice for fertilizer :)

Should you decide to upgrade in the future, here's where I'd get it from.

http://www.rexgrigg.com/ferts4sale.html

You would need KH2PO4, KNO3, and K2SO4. Also also CSM+B unless you decided to use Seachem Flourish for trace element/iron supplements.

So as long as i have the eco complete, no ferts are needed?

Chrona
04-29-2007, 02:12 PM
So as long as i have the eco complete, no ferts are needed?

Ecocomplete just breaks down and holds the nutrients from fish waste. It doesn't actually contain much other than iron, calcium, some trace elements. As long as you have a decent fish population and feed regularly, nitrates, phosphates and potassium should not be an issue. Trace in a low growth environment can be supplied by regular water changes.

Drumachine09
04-29-2007, 11:05 PM
well crud. i went to two LFS and not a single one of them had eco complete. Ill call the other two, but if i cant get it, is flourite comparable?

Chrona
04-29-2007, 11:12 PM
well crud. i went to two LFS and not a single one of them had eco complete. Ill call the other two, but if i cant get it, is flourite comparable?

Flourite is good, but not as good. Plus Flourite is real messy, regardless of how many times you wash it. If you really can't find Ecocomplete (see if they can order it) then Flourite will do. I personally wish I had spent the extra few bucks for a bag of Eco instead. Every time I move plants around, plumes of debris go up. Eco looks much better too, being black and small.

Drumachine09
04-30-2007, 12:06 AM
I found 20lbs of eco complete on ebay for 26.50 incuding shipping. Is that a good price?

xoolooxunny
04-30-2007, 12:30 AM
I found 20lbs of eco complete on ebay for 26.50 incuding shipping. Is that a good price?

I think I paid 30 for my last bag, so yes, its a good price

Chrona
04-30-2007, 12:49 AM
Make sure to ask the seller how old it is, and if it has any of that milky crud.

Drumachine09
04-30-2007, 02:03 AM
Make sure to ask the seller how old it is, and if it has any of that milky crud.

Neighbor that works at the LFS, says ecocomplete is $25 a bag, plus his discount, so i will just have him pick me up a bag.

Is the milky crud bad for the fish/plants?

Chrona
04-30-2007, 02:06 AM
Neighbor that works at the LFS, says ecocomplete is $25 a bag, plus his discount, so i will just have him pick me up a bag.

Is the milky crud bad for the fish/plants?

No there was a bad batch of Ecocomplete a few months ago that contained a massive amount of phosphates, but they fixed it. As long as the bag is pretty clear and looks pretty new, it'll be fine.

Drumachine09
04-30-2007, 02:07 AM
No there was a bad batch of Ecocomplete a few months ago that contained a massive amount of phosphates, but they fixed it. As long as the bag is pretty clear and looks pretty new, it'll be fine.

looks new? Is it just me, or are rocks millions of years old?

Chrona
04-30-2007, 02:09 AM
looks new? Is it just me, or are rocks millions of years old?

You know what I mean, smartaleck :P

Drumachine09
04-30-2007, 02:10 AM
You know what I mean, smartaleck :P

lol, i try:ezpi_wink1:

Lady Hobbs
04-30-2007, 02:21 AM

Ecocomplete does not even need washing. You dump the contents of the bag directly into the tank. Liquid and all.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/ecocomplete.html

Chrona
04-30-2007, 02:27 AM
Thanks Hobbs, forgot to mention that

Btw, get some peat moss too. Sprinkle a VERY light layer on the bottom, so that you can still see the glass. Then put the Eco on top of it. The humic acid released helps break down nutrients and because it is layered underneath the Eco (which almost acts as a buffer), it won't change your water parameters much, if at all.

Drumachine09
04-30-2007, 02:33 AM
Thanks Hobbs, forgot to mention that

Btw, get some peat moss too. Sprinkle a VERY light layer on the bottom, so that you can still see the glass. Then put the Eco on top of it. The humic acid released helps break down nutrients and because it is layered underneath the Eco (which almost acts as a buffer), it won't change your water parameters much, if at all.

Also, i was thinking about getting cardinals instead of the betta/cory combo. Will they do well in hardish water?

Chrona
04-30-2007, 02:36 AM
Also, i was thinking about getting cardinals instead of the betta/cory combo. Will they do well in hardish water?

As long as you acclimate them very slowly. I think it's still kinda a hit or miss, depending on your LFS's stock. One LFS has cheap, but unhealthy cardinals that kept dying on me. The other one had bulletproof cardinals for a dollar more each and they are doing amazing. Cardinals are wild-caught for the most part, so you want to make sure you only buy fish that have been at the store for at least a few weeks. If you get fish from a fresh shipment, they'll most likely die.

Drumachine09
04-30-2007, 02:57 AM
As long as you acclimate them very slowly. I think it's still kinda a hit or miss, depending on your LFS's stock. One LFS has cheap, but unhealthy cardinals that kept dying on me. The other one had bulletproof cardinals for a dollar more each and they are doing amazing. Cardinals are wild-caught for the most part, so you want to make sure you only buy fish that have been at the store for at least a few weeks. If you get fish from a fresh shipment, they'll most likely die.

Llike SW drip acclimation?

I have seen alot of planted tanks with cardinals. Is it a very popular thing to have?

Chrona
04-30-2007, 03:00 AM
Llike SW drip acclimation?

I have seen alot of planted tanks with cardinals. Is it a very popular thing to have?

yep, cardinals, rummynose, rasboras are all very popular for planted tanks.

For my acclimations, I just do float for 1/2 hour, 1/4-1/2 (depending on how much was in the bag to start with) cup of water every 10 minutes for about 2 hours. Dump the excess water out as needed. I haven't lost a single fish after starting to acclimate this way.

Drumachine09
04-30-2007, 03:01 AM
yep, cardinals, rummynose, rasboras are all very popular for planted tanks.

For my acclimations, I just do float for 1/2 hour, 1/4-1/2 (depending on how much was in the bag to start with) cup of water every 10 minutes for about 2 hours. Dump the excess water out as needed. I haven't lost a single fish after starting to acclimate this way.

Makes sense. Thanks! :thumb: