PDA

View Full Version : big stomach on Oscar

shepp
04-28-2007, 02:28 AM
Hi,
I have a 4 year old Oscar that is about 11 inches long, I noticed the past few weeks that he looks like he has swallowed a beach ball, LoL
his is very round mor on one side of his stomach then the other. Any ideas? He acts normal otherwise,
Shepp

Drumachine09
04-28-2007, 02:32 AM
Hi,
I have a 4 year old Oscar that is about 11 inches long, I noticed the past few weeks that he looks like he has swallowed a beach ball, LoL
his is very round, more on one side of his stomach then the other. Any ideas? He acts normal otherwise,
Shepp

How big is your tank, what are your parameters, what are you feeding him, and how ofter? lol, im giving your the 3rd degree.

Welcome to the A.C.!

Lady Hobbs
04-28-2007, 03:28 AM
Try to cut back on the meat products and get him to eat some veggies. Sounds as he may be constipated. I wouldn't give him anything but veggies for a few days and let him get cleaned out. Watch his poo as well. This may be a sign of worms.

Chrona
04-28-2007, 03:31 AM
Some thawed frozen peas will clear up constipation if that is the issue. Other wise, I agree with Hobbs, it may be internal parasites.

Lady Hobbs
04-28-2007, 05:03 AM
You have two threads going with the same question so I merged them.

shepp
04-28-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the info, all he eats is a Cichlid food, green round pellets,he won't eat any other kind, I have to get thes in th US as I haven't found them here in Canada.( A bit spoiled )
If it is worms or parisites what should I give him??
Thanks for the help guys!!!

shepp
04-28-2007, 05:32 PM
I forgot to answer the other questions, he is in a 55 gal tank, only him and an algie eater, ( he ate the sharks when he was younger)
To be honest I knew nothing about this fish when I got him, and I am slowly learning, so any help would be great!!! I never knew a fish could have such a personality, he will jump out of the water to take food from my hand. Never thougt I would get attached to a Fish! He ususlly only eats once a day, once in awhile twice, he lets me know when he is hungry.

melanini
04-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Does he seem to swim normal still, or does he tilt off to one side or the other?

Lady Hobbs
04-28-2007, 07:22 PM
He may eat some veggies if he wasn't filled up on anything else. Sometimes just letting them go a bit with clean him out.

shepp
04-28-2007, 07:54 PM
Yes, he does seem to swim normal, but I will keep an eye now that I know what to look for. At night he sleeps in a hole he dug at the bottom of the tank. I will also try him with some Veggies and see if he will eat them, I won't give him his reg food. Am I feeding him the right amout and /or times per day?
Thanks...

shepp
05-04-2007, 02:23 AM
Hi,

Oscar is eating peas, his stomach is huge though, I think getting bigger , I am woried about him. He is acting fine, but....... Maybe I will try get a picture to let you see,

xoolooxunny
05-04-2007, 02:48 AM
How long has he been eating peas? I'm kinda gettin worried about this little fella!:22: