PDA

View Full Version : Snail question

Tigerbarb
01-24-2010, 02:30 AM
Earlier today, I purchased some small snails for my 20g. When I first put the bag in the tank, they were doing fine and moving around. I acclimated them for over 20 minutes, and I got the SG from the bag to match the SG in my tank. I slowly released them into the tank, and it's been several hours. There is no sign of movement, as the snails are each buried deep in their shells. I know corals are expected to close up when they are first added to a tank, but are supposed to open up gradually. Does the same apply to snails? Is this normal? Will the snails likely move around?

labnjab
01-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Ive noticed some of our snails to be lazy. Some will hardly move for days. As long as they react to u handling then then their alive. Give them a few days, they need to eat sometime, lol

Tigerbarb
01-28-2010, 02:59 AM
Ive noticed some of our snails to be lazy. Some will hardly move for days. As long as they react to u handling then then their alive. Give them a few days, they need to eat sometime, lolLol it's a little late for that, they have begun to decay. Fortunately, I believe I have discovered what the problem is...the salinity was too high for snails (above 1.030). I have managed to slowly lower the specific gravity to 1.027. Do you think snails will be alright in those conditions?

Tigerbarb
01-29-2010, 05:35 AM
Well, I got five more snails(a different species this time) and they are doing great. If they really do make a difference with my tank's algae problem, I'll be sure to post some pix.