PDA

View Full Version : WHOA! I want this plant!

Chrona
04-28-2007, 12:47 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zabbbby/215965476/

http://www.plantgeek.net/plant-290.htm

That's sweet! It eats snails, lololol

Lady Hobbs
04-28-2007, 12:56 AM
Awesome. What about little fishies?

Chrona
04-28-2007, 12:58 AM
Well plantgeek says it basically can only catch up to a small fry, which will not be a problem. That's just too cool though, like an aquatic venus flytrap :)

cocoa_pleco
04-28-2007, 01:35 AM
SWEET. Kimmers needs some of those with the puffers so it would be a snail eating fiesta

Drumachine09
04-28-2007, 01:54 AM
Too bad they are considered an endangered species.

Chrona
04-28-2007, 02:01 AM
Too bad they are considered an endangered species.

In it's native habitat. There's probably plenty of hobbyists keeping it and propagating/spreading it though. There's a variety of crypt I saw that came from a single plant in the wild, but now, while it's still rare (sells for like 100 bucks per stem), has been brought back from near extinction.

Drumachine09
04-28-2007, 02:03 AM
In it's native habitat. There's probably plenty of hobbyists keeping it and propagating/spreading it though. There's a variety of crypt I saw that came from a single plant in the wild, but now, while it's still rare (sells for like 100 bucks per stem), has been brought back from near extinction.

oh thats cool. Dont you think that its interfereing with natural selection/ survival of the fittest though?

Chrona
04-28-2007, 02:28 AM
oh thats cool. Dont you think that its interfereing with natural selection/ survival of the fittest though?

Well it's not doing anything to the plants in the wild. Most likely a small sample was taken and found it's way into the aquarium trade, and so has been propagated since. Plants like glosssostigma used to be really rare in the 90's, but is extremely commonplace in aquariums nowadays. Recently, hemanianthus callitrodes has done the same thing, though prices are still kinda high. But non of this effects the plants in the wild, in fact, the more aquarists with the plants, the less effect the plants in the wild will see, since it's much easier to buy a 5 dollar plant from a farm than to pay for one picked from the wild, brought overseas past customs and distributed.

Drumachine09
04-28-2007, 02:33 AM
Well it's not doing anything to the plants in the wild. Most likely a small sample was taken and found it's way into the aquarium trade, and so has been propagated since. Plants like glosssostigma used to be really rare in the 90's, but is extremely commonplace in aquariums nowadays. Recently, hemanianthus callitrodes has done the same thing, though prices are still kinda high. But non of this effects the plants in the wild, in fact, the more aquarists with the plants, the less effect the plants in the wild will see, since it's much easier to buy a 5 dollar plant from a farm than to pay for one picked from the wild, brought overseas past customs and distributed.

Ahh, and thus, the sense has been made.

Chrona
04-28-2007, 02:35 AM
Ahh, and thus, the sense has been made.

:hmm3grin2orange:

EDIT: Heh

http://www.bestcarnivorousplants.com/aldrovanda/

Drumachine09
04-28-2007, 02:37 AM
:hmm3grin2orange:

That opening picture is AMAZING! I wish i wasnt too lazy to do a densly planted tank.

Chrona
04-28-2007, 02:39 AM
A planted tank is not as hard as you would think. I would certainly imagine it's easier than a reef tank.

Drumachine09
04-28-2007, 02:39 AM
A planted tank is not as hard as you would think. I would certainly imagine it's easier than a reef tank.
Meh, ive got one coral, and all it needs is light. I would need co2 and ferts and such for a planted.

Chrona
04-28-2007, 02:45 AM
Meh, ive got one coral, and all it needs is light. I would need co2 and ferts and such for a planted.

Technically the coral needs stuff like calcium, trace elements, etc, etc, but it's not required if you keep easy corals. The same with planted tanks. You don't HAVE to have CO2 and/or ferts as long as you pick the right plants. With 2 watts per gallon of lighting on a 10g, you could grow most common plants without a need for CO2 or fertilization. And CO2 + fert is actually really cheap and easy to do. If you do a 50% water change weekly, then just follow the EI method of dosing, where you put in X teaspoons of each of 3 types of dry chemicals (they are VERY cheap agricultural products, like 5 bucks for several years supply) every other day. As for CO2, well, it's cheap and it's just a soda bottle with air tubing feeding into the filter intake.

Without CO2 and ferts, as long as you have a decent substrate (like ecocomplete), you can get a nice dense tank of different types of java fern, marsilea, various mosses, crypts, etc. There's a whole forum over at plantedtank.net devoted to low-tech tanks.

Drumachine09
04-28-2007, 02:48 AM
Technically the coral needs stuff like calcium, trace elements, etc, etc, but it's not required if you keep easy corals. The same with planted tanks. You don't HAVE to have CO2 and/or ferts as long as you pick the right plants. With 2 watts per gallon of lighting on a 10g, you could grow most common plants without a need for CO2 or fertilization. And CO2 + fert is actually really cheap and easy to do. If you do a 50% water change weekly, then just follow the EI method of dosing, where you put in X teaspoons of each of 3 types of dry chemicals (they are VERY cheap agricultural products, like 5 bucks for several years supply) every other day. As for CO2, well, it's cheap and it's just a soda bottle with air tubing feeding into the filter intake.

Without CO2 and ferts, as long as you have a decent substrate (like ecocomplete), you can get a nice dense tank of different types of java fern, marsilea, various mosses, crypts, etc. There's a whole forum over at plantedtank.net devoted to low-tech tanks.

Ok, so what you are saying is, if i picked easy plants, and dont have a high end substrate/co2, i could just do fertilizers? Im going to start a thread on this, your presence is requested.

Chrona
04-28-2007, 02:50 AM
Ok, so what you are saying is, if i picked easy plants, and dont have a high end substrate/co2, i could just do fertilizers? Im going to start a thread on this, your presence is requested.

For a low tech tank, the substrate is the key. It's ferts/co2 you don't neccesarily need. You can probably pull it off with regular gravel, but a nice substrate like Ecocomplete makes it much easier. I believe it's an extra 20-40 dollar investment for a 10g tank. And if probably saves you money in the long run in terms of having to add gravel conditioners.

OR just get a gravel substrate and only use plants that don't have to be buried in the substrate like java fern, java moss, anubias, etc.

kimmers318
04-28-2007, 12:32 PM
That plant is cool, but I don't want anything competing with my puffs for snails.....we need all the snails we can get around here!

RobbieG
04-29-2007, 01:24 AM
Do they have one that will just bark at the pleco that keeps digging up my other plants!

willisrad
04-29-2007, 02:27 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/CARNIVOROUS-PLANTS-ALDROVANDA-VESICULOSA-PLANTS-RARE_W0QQitemZ320107932556QQihZ011QQcategoryZ12291 3QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

Chrona
04-29-2007, 02:37 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/CARNIVOROUS-PLANTS-ALDROVANDA-VESICULOSA-PLANTS-RARE_W0QQitemZ320107932556QQihZ011QQcategoryZ12291 3QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

If you wanted to buy that, and lived in the US, you'd have to pay for the 70 dollar phyto certificate to get by customs :)

xoolooxunny
04-29-2007, 05:45 AM
yeah, so, i want one. would it grow in my tank??? neutral ph, fluorite, diy co2, low light, but good light?

Chrona
04-29-2007, 05:52 AM
I think it'll require more light + addition of fertilizers.

xoolooxunny
04-29-2007, 06:24 AM
I think it'll require more light + addition of fertilizers.

shucks, okay, I'll put it on my summer job budget list of things to do!

jeffs99dime
04-29-2007, 01:15 PM
that's pretty cool