PDA

View Full Version : Something ate our clam

labnjab
01-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Something ate our new clam during the night >:( I looked into the dark tank this morning to find an empty shell with the nassurus snails finishing up the scraps. What could have done it? We don't have any know clam predators. It was fully open and looking happy last night. This just sucks. We've wanted a clam for a long time and its didn't even last a week.

I just looked in the tank again and saw a huge, yellow worm near the clam, could this be the culprit? I've never seen it before. I tried to catch it with tongs but it was too fast. ANy help would be greatly appreciated cause we really want a clam. Thank you

UnknownFish
01-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Do you have any emerald crabs, my emerald crabs destroyed my clam over night the same way, got up in the morning and snails were finishing it off, also angelfish will nip at clams mantels.

Rue
01-22-2010, 03:20 PM
I could be wrong...but I'm guessing the clam wasn't thriving to begin with, and it was dying. They die quickly - and once that starts the scavengers eat up what's left...

So it's unlikely it was actually killed and eaten...

labnjab
01-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Do you have any emerald crabs, my emerald crabs destroyed my clam over night the same way, got up in the morning and snails were finishing it off, also angelfish will nip at clams mantels.

No angelfish or emerald crabs. Nothing that I can think of that would have eaten it

I could be wrong...but I'm guessing the clam wasn't thriving to begin with, and it was dying. They die quickly - and once that starts the scavengers eat up what's left...

So it's unlikely it was actually killed and eaten...

I've been reading that they will look healthy even if their dieing so you really can't tell. Next time around I'll buy one a little bigger, probably in the 4-5 inch range. This one was an ORA so I thought we wouldn't have any problems with it. Guess I thought wrong:scry:

Northernguy
01-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Thats too bad about your clam!

I would dig up that worm if you think its the culprit.At least get a positive ID on it before you try another clam.

labnjab
01-22-2010, 05:09 PM
I've been trying to catch it but its quick. It hasn't come out again since this morning but it looked big. Most of it was in the rock but the part sticking out was 4-5 inches long

Aeonflame
01-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Any starfish in there?

labnjab
01-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Only a brittle star