PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: Zoo Med Betta Bed Leaf Hammock

CherrySparkles
01-21-2010, 06:23 PM
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/images/graphics/bettabed.jpg

If anyone finds these little things in your local pet store, I so strongly recommend you NOT use them.

I've had three of them, all bought from different pet stores over the course of a month and have had the same problem with all three.

I first noticed it when looking at the hammock that had been in a tank for nearly a month. The product is a plastic, stiffly reinforced leaf that pops into a suction cup and then is mounted on the side of the tank for the betta to sit on, theoretically. So looking at the hammock in the tank, it seemed to be developing a bunch of black gunk where the suction cup and leaf join. I immediately took it out of the tank, and when I pulled the leaf out of the suction cup, black rusty water squirted everywhere. The leaf is reinforced with metal that isn't at all covered on that end, and the suction cup had filled with rust, while the entire plastic end of the leaf was blackened by the buildup. I could see that there were also rusty deposits making their way outside the suction cup and into the aquarium.

I removed the other two hammocks from my other tanks (they'd been in for 10 and 5 days respectively) and rust was beginning on their ends as well.

Having had this happen three times, I'm assuming this is the norm for the product and STRONGLY recommend avoiding them. The metal inside is not sealed properly for use under water.

VoidParadigm
01-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Good to know.

Great for the petstores at least, once the metal kills your betta you go back to the store for a new betta AND a new leaf. :evil:

Wild Turkey
01-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the heads up on a bad product. It also sounds like it would become a danger as it decayed because of the wire frame

Personally the only bettas I have seen "lay" like that are the ones that are in terrible shape in the petstores. Im just speculating of course, they may rest this way naturally but none of mine ever have.

Dont worry too must about the rust, rust = iron oxide (iron, oxygen) so the rust itself shouldnt do/have done any harm to your tank.

CherrySparkles
01-21-2010, 06:59 PM
Dont worry too must about the rust, rust = iron oxide (iron, oxygen) so the rust itself shouldnt do/have done any harm to your tank.

That's reassuring, thanks Wild Turkey! I was horrified when I took the leaf out and found rust, but, though obvs not ideal, I wasn't sure how dangerous rust was to fishies.

It sucks that these turned out to be such crappy products, because they made fabulous filter baffles! I was attaching them to the side of the tank just under the filter output, and they diffused the water flow really nicely.

Never ceases to amaze what pet stores/companies will pass off as safe, especially fish stuff.

Scrup
01-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

One of my bettas is always laying on my lilypads, rocks, pleco, driftwood, and likes to rest against the filter intake. depends on the fish I suppose. We always joke that hes just lazy. Great idea on the product, just poor QC..

rich311k
01-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Wow I cant beleive a company specializing in aquatics would make a product that rusts. I wonder if they know, maybe a spec on the product got changed by the manufacturing facility.

CherrySparkles
01-21-2010, 08:32 PM
I wonder if they know, maybe a spec on the product got changed by the manufacturing facility.

I really hope it's some kind of mistake and not that the company is cheap/irresponsible/all the other nasty stuff I'm thinking right now! They have a customer service email that I sent a message to about the rust, but I haven't gotten a response yet.

I'm getting a little more wary of aquarium products, since I've had one other plant rust on me before this, and I had a bit of a fit when I found MSG listed in the ingredients for Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets I was feeding.

Needless to say, my betta gets nothing but frozen food now and I'm a lot more aware of what I'm buying for him. :)

Pele
01-21-2010, 10:44 PM
thumbs2: Thank you so much cherry sparkles!
I was just about to order one of these from an aquarium magazine!
Thanks for saving me a nasty tank and 10 bucks!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
01-21-2010, 11:44 PM
As Turkey pointed out, the Iron Oxide isn't really a problem, that's what certain phosphate removal media is made of. Definitely a waste of money though for something that is going to rust off in a short time.

CherrySparkles
01-22-2010, 10:19 PM
thumbs2: Thank you so much cherry sparkles!
I was just about to order one of these from an aquarium magazine!
Thanks for saving me a nasty tank and 10 bucks!

So glad I could help! Crappy pet products suck!:ssmile:

Tetris
01-26-2010, 09:39 AM
I really hope it's some kind of mistake and not that the company is cheap/irresponsible/all the other nasty stuff I'm thinking right now! They have a customer service email that I sent a message to about the rust, but I haven't gotten a response yet.

I'm getting a little more wary of aquarium products, since I've had one other plant rust on me before this, and I had a bit of a fit when I found MSG listed in the ingredients for Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets I was feeding.

Needless to say, my betta gets nothing but frozen food now and I'm a lot more aware of what I'm buying for him. :)

Stick to dried foods... More nutritional value... Most of the nutrients in frozen foods get destroyed during the freezing process.

For small fish like bettas, it's pretty hard to beat flakes... Many people swear by Hikari. Lots of people use NLS as well. In the end variety is never a bad idea as long as it's high quality variety. I will say avoid any product that promises to improve the fish's colours though.

Or you could always look into cultivating live food...

As far as tank decor... There's driftwood, rocks, live plants, and silk plants... Really not much else the fish would particularly care for to be honest. Fish live in the water, they float... It's not like they're on their feet all day that they need to lie down. Just give'em hiding places and maybe some surface cover and he'll make himself comfortable.

gadget228
01-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Appreciate the warning on this product, I won't be getting any.

Sarkazmo
01-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Hornwort and Java Moss both are very easy to grow, help filter the water, and do very well in low light setups. Betta LOVE these plants and will wiggle through them and lay on them all the time.

It's natural, alive, helps the quality of the water, and the fish love the plants. Don't waste your money on this crap or crap like it.

Sark

T Fades
01-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Interesting topic.

I just bought one of these leaf hammocks for my 2.5g tank that holds my male betta 'Blue' about 2 weeks ago. At first, I was concerned because as mentioned, it is a very hard plastic, and am worried it might tear Blue's fins.

I gotta say though, he absolutely loves the leaf hammock. Always 'chillin' on it.

Will definately keep an eye on the rust issue.

Here is where I will probably get flamed. I do not have a hood on Blue's tank because Blue's tank is the only water my two cats will drink. The cats never try to pester Blue. Blue doesn't seem to mind, in fact, he will swim up to the cats when they are drinking and looks like he wants to play/hang out.

dragoonwoman
01-29-2010, 08:16 PM
One of my cats used to drink from my shrimp tank every day. One day I noticed dead shrimp and found the tank had been poisoned (pH 6.0 or less; ammonia was 8 (!!!!), nitrites 2 and nitrates 80)!!

I had done w/c on the tank the day before, and all the readings were fine. All I can think is my cat had something on his paws, and when he paddled in the water with them, it got into my tank and killed everything.

A cat can have kitty litter on its feet that contains urine or feces, and that could kill your betta if it got into the tank. If you cover the tank so the cats can't drink from it, the cats will NOT die of thirst, believe me! They will find another source of water, although they might protest the loss of the "fish soup."

IME.

WonderlandAlli
02-17-2013, 06:43 AM
THANK YOU! I was just thinking of that leaf bed because I want something for my betta to nap on, and I googled it and your warning came up first thing. Scary! I'll pass, and maybe get some plastic (NON WIRED!) broad leaf plant for him. There has to be something that works the same way he can nap on. I have a rocky arch but its a sandstone, and I want to get him something smoother and broad to nap on. (I signed up just to thank you!!!)

talldutchie
02-17-2013, 06:59 AM
If you want a leaf like that why not stick an anubias cutting in a small suction ring?

Cliff
02-17-2013, 01:53 PM
This thread is over three years now

Please check the dates or start a new thread