PDA

View Full Version : Odessa Barb Surprise

JimTheBetta
01-20-2010, 05:00 AM
Well first off, we have been loving the odessa barbs. They have been doing great in our tank, lively and active and unlike the mollies they replaced the bottom of the tank isn't matted in crap within 4 days.

Tonight we were feeding them before getting ready to shut the lights off, as always, when my sister thought she saw the shedding of a shrimp floating near the top. Its only weird because the last shrimp in that tank died off months ago. On closer inspection its a little baby Odessa barb! We didn't even know they had breed, let alone that any of the babies had survived. I kinda figured they would mate eventually, but as I had no room for more in that tank, I figured nature would take over and they would eat most of there young as I had read online.

But this one little guy has made it. I chalk it up to the large plant in the back left corner of the tank. I moved him to our shrimp tank, so he won't get eaten or picked on for now. When he gets a bit bigger I'll move him back. And i say him since I'm almost certain he has the red stripe going down his side.

Just had to share that little discovery!

kathymac
01-20-2010, 05:09 AM
Don't you just love it when you find a new baby? Good luck with the wee one.

JimTheBetta
01-20-2010, 05:19 AM
Don't you just love it when you find a new baby? Good luck with the wee one.

Yup, i remember back when our ghost shrimp had babies. But this lil guy, hes no newborn. I have no idea how we missed him for so long. He really must have been hiding!

Northernguy
01-20-2010, 05:48 AM
Thats an awesome find!
A sure sign that you are doing it right.

rich311k
01-20-2010, 11:46 AM
That is very cool. Congrats on the little fellow.