PDA

View Full Version : 10 Gallon planted

LethalResistanz
01-20-2010, 03:54 AM
My second attempted at a planted tank! I just got my license and wiped out my savings account on a nice 1998 chevy s10. This will be a planted tank on a budget. My first one didn't go so well. It ended up become a algae factory. Hopefully this one will be better.

~Plans~
A no co2 planted tank with as many plants as possible on a budget.
I'd like to move the plants and fish to my 55 gallon when spring comes.

Specs.
Tank: 10 gallon
Substrate: Flourite
Filter: Aqueon power filter 30
Heater: 50w
Light: 2 15w 65k CFLs
Ferts: Root tabs, Flora Pride.

Money
Hood: $20
Bulbs: $6
Heater: $13
Plants: $7
Total: $46

Everything else I already owned.

LethalResistanz
01-20-2010, 03:57 AM
Day 1

Light fluorite rinsing.

Basic scape with 2 small rocks

bought 2 plants:
kleiner bar sword $5
Moneywort: $2
split the sword into 2 nice size plants and the money wort came in 8 stems wrapped together.

They are all tall so i added them to the back.

First pictures.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3550/dsc02578c.jpg

Close up:
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/1602/dsc02589y.jpg

LethalResistanz
01-20-2010, 04:07 AM
The filter was being used (with media) on my mbuna tank for 2 months or so. How long will the bacteria last without a ammonia source? I was going to pick up some neons when i got the plants but the guy there said to wait a couple days. I didn't feel like arguing with him that it was already cycled so I guess I'll wait a bit.

Lady Hobbs
01-20-2010, 10:12 AM
I would put that filter back on the other tank until you're ready to add some fish. Bacteria dies off rather quickly.

LethalResistanz
01-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Been a bit busy but finally ready to start stocking.

I want a large group of schooling fish: I like Neon's and Harlequin Rasbora

Algae eater: Otto Cats?

The questions now is just how many?

Never really had such a small tank. 10 schoolers and 2-3 ottos? Maybe that's to much.

Help me out.

incorporeal_x
01-31-2010, 07:42 PM
You could get a nano ish fish like celestial pearl danios or some kind of microrasbora and a few otos. That way you can have a pretty large school.

LethalResistanz
01-31-2010, 09:47 PM
You could get a nano ish fish like celestial pearl danios or some kind of microrasbora and a few otos. That way you can have a pretty large school.

Nothing like that around here. On a budget and $20-40 bucks to ship is a lot if I could just buy the fish locally for less than the shipping price.

incorporeal_x
01-31-2010, 11:13 PM
Nothing like that around here. On a budget and $20-40 bucks to ship is a lot if I could just buy the fish locally for less than the shipping price.

Can you get your LFS to order you something?

lowlight
02-01-2010, 06:28 AM
nice tank. 2-3 Otos would be fine in that tank once it is established. Otos are always grazing so they do need some algae.

LethalResistanz
02-01-2010, 11:00 PM
nice tank. 2-3 Otos would be fine in that tank once it is established. Otos are always grazing so they do need some algae.

Image shack was down last time I tried. Later I'll upload the photo again.

I'm having a pretty bad algae problem actually. The Kliener Bar Sword is growing tons of red leafs (which I guess it should its like a hybird plant or something.) The moneywort is doing pretty bad. The tops all have nice looking leaves but the bottoms are just dieing away. They are however growing crazy roots from their stems. I did a diy co2 system since I noticed the algae. Also some snail eggs must of hatched on one of the plants there are quite a few very small snails eating algae and such. For the size they do pretty good cleaning up. One of my sword leaves was covered in algae and they seemed to leaves tracks all over it.

cer
02-03-2010, 12:41 AM
Peacock Gudgeons would fit nice in a 10.

LethalResistanz
03-15-2010, 03:29 AM
Thought I'd post a picture.

The 5 or so ghost shrimp i put in died a while ago, but my 2 otto cats are doing great.

Bit of a algae problem and the water is brown from the wood. Oh well.

Actually haven't done any maintenance besides top offs and WC, don't clean the glass or siphon the gravel. I'm really liking these small planted tanks.

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx51/justindickenson/0314002307a.jpg

Going to clean it up tomorrow and actually use a camera instead of a cell phone for a picture. It actually looks really nice in person. I think i was getting the bulb and it just makes it look like an algae covered cesspool.

Been having some sleeping problems but if I can actually get to bed at a normal time I'll go to the fish store and finally put some fish in there besides 2 ottos and pond snails. Hopefully I can fin a small carpeting plant to.

I think I rambled enough.

Until tomorrow..