PDA

View Full Version : anyone thta has oscars please help me

i need help please
04-27-2007, 06:55 AM
hi there i just got given an 18cm oscar, i have a 150L approx 35galllon tank from my old turtles, is this big enough or should i get another one? i was looking at a 700gallon tank. but this is a total different way to whch i was going. also how can i tell the sex of my fish? the last owner had no idea he said that it only lived as long as it has by pure luck, he was never home to look after it. i have many more questions in need of answers but i think it will scare everyone away from replying if i do it all at once.

kindest regards
matt
(i need help please)

crackatinny
04-27-2007, 08:30 AM
This sounds like an emergency rescue, if you use the tank you have currently, in the very near future you will need a larger tank, you need to cycle your tank 1st, download the ebook, it will help you, if you have already put the fish in the tank uncycled (which I highly DO NOT reccomend), get hold of some of the guys old filter media and gravel ASAP and put it in a stocking and hang it in the tank. better still, see if the guy will loan you his uncleaned filter (if he is not using it) to try to get a bacterior going.
What I have said, is for emergency only, and the tank REALLY should be cycled 1st if possible.

Hope this helps untill somebody more knowlagable gets on.

kimmers318
04-27-2007, 12:12 PM
You will definitely need a larger tank ASAP. Oscars grow very fast. You will also need good filtration as they are messy messy fish. Do as suggested and get ahold of old filter media and gravel and start looking for that bigger tank today. I believe 55 is recommended for 1 full grown oscar, but at the size ours are I would be surprised if they would be happy.

TehTANK
04-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Feel free to PM me about any questions on Oscars. I am pretty knowledable and have raised oscars for about 4 years now. I will do my best to help.