PDA

View Full Version : Pleco in brackish water tank

flowerhorn81
01-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Can I keep my Common Pleco and silver dollar in my brackish water tank with six green semi adult scats?

EmmanuelJB
01-19-2010, 08:04 PM
No!! Salt is especially hard on catfish fish. (Plecos are part of the catfish family if you didn't know)

Aeonflame
01-19-2010, 08:09 PM
No!! Salt is especially hard on catfish fish. (Plecos are part of the catfish family if you didn't know)

You do know that there are saltwater species of catfish and several brackish water inhabiting species of catfish.

However, plecos cannot be kept in brackish water.

smaug
01-19-2010, 08:10 PM
You do know that there are saltwater species of catfish and many brackish water inhabiting species of catfish.

Or silver dollars.Besides,you are overstocked to the max with just the scats,,,,,,,but I already said that.

Aeonflame
01-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Didnt notice the silver dollar part. They definitely cant be kept in brackish water. Note, in some circumstances, certain species of pleco have been found in slightly brackish water in the wild. It should be understood though that this is most likely because of very slow exposure over many many generations. I would believe replicating this acclimation in an aquarium to be nigh impossible.

smaug
01-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Didnt notice the silver dollar part. They definitely cant be kept in brackish water. Note, in some circumstances, certain species of pleco have been found in slightly brackish water in the wild. It should be understood though that this is most likely because of very slow exposure over many many generations. I would believe replicating this acclimation in an aquarium to be nigh impossible.
Was this pleco 6ft long by any chance:14:

EmmanuelJB
01-19-2010, 08:19 PM
You do know that there are saltwater species of catfish and many brackish water inhabiting species of catfish.

I know... I ment to put fresh water catfish.

Aeonflame
01-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Was this pleco 6ft long by any chance:14:

Touche... touche... :hmm3grin2orange: